Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I be concerned about buying a laptop from QVC?

I had a bad experience w/ Dell purchase. Didn't work. Sent to Dell for expensive repairs because QVC wouldn't take return. Just not a good purchase for me. A few years ago.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Concerned? If you want a computer that is a older model and a lot of software that you will never need or use then do not be  concerned about ordering one from a shopping channel. I would always buy though HP or best buy. shopping channels always sell older models,,,, do your research before you buy any electronic.

Respected Contributor

I prefer to buy direct from the manufacturer. That way I can customize my computer.

For me, Best Buy is the last place I would go to for a computer. I’m more informed than their employees. 

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I prefer to buy direct from the manufacturer. That way I can customize my computer.

For me, Best Buy is the last place I would go to for a computer. I’m more informed than their employees. 

@deeva

I do too . . . always buy from the manufacturer for the same reason. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I've bought 2 desktops and one laptop from QVC over the years and never had a problem.

The issues I see here generally stem from shipping and expectations around shipping.

In the past, they are made to order and ship directly from the manufacturer.  QVC does not have real time information on where your item is or when it will be shipped.  You have the same information in your account that QVC CS has.  They can't call "Dell" or "HP" or whoever.  All they can do it take a message.

If you are using this as a gift, I don't recommend it.  They cannot guarantee receipt by a specific date no matter how many times they state it.  So if this is a gift, I would not buy from QVC.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN

I bought a desktop from HSN once. It worked fine for about a year, then started constantly rebooting. I brought it in to work and the guys in my IT dept. opened it up and discovered an extremely old motherboard with new components welded to it. They had a good laugh at my gullibility. They said NEVER buy electronics from these shows. They have companies build cheap pc’s just for them. The motherboard even had the HSN logo on it! This was 12 years ago. Every now and then, I get a “Remember that time...”
Super Contributor

I've owned several high-end laptops and I literally wear them out. I have to buy the little stickers for the keys because I wear the letters and numbers off with constant use. And then I wear the stickers out! Smiley Happy That said, I keep my operating system cleaned up, never use even close to the memory capacity and defrag my hard drive regularly.

I bought a Dell from QVC almost two and a half years ago. I've been nursing it along for a year and a half, and have my fingers crossed that it doesn't croak on me in the next three months.

It takes ten minutes or more to reboot and always has since day one. Sometimes, even when I purposely restart it, it doesn't start up and I have to do a cold shut down and power on several times.

The software that they claim is an added value really isn't. Most of it is fluff that nobody ever uses. Microsoft Office or Word is expensive unless you are a student or nonprofit, and their claims that it is "included" are not true. Yes, you may get it for a few months for free but you will pay eventually if you choose to keep it.

This Dell I have now will spontaneously turn itself off. The power button has not worked properly for almost two years and I have to use a pen or something hard to press it down hard enough to make it work. The AC power adapter stopped working two years ago; if I keep it plugged in it is OK but it never charges the battery to the point that I can unplug it more than five minutes. I bought a new battery AND a new cord but this did not correct the issue.

I'm making do before I buy a new one in November when we get some bills paid off. Hopefully, it lasts that long. I will never, ever purchase a computer of any sort from QVC again. I've owned enough laptops and used them professionally and personally that I knew from day one that this was a clunker. I should have sent it back but bought it at Christmas time and things were too hectic to make the thirty-day deadline.

I truly believe that a lot of what QVC sells is not of top quality. Electronics, Clark shoes, Dooney and Bourke handbags - I've purchased so many brand name items that did not perform or serve the same as what I buy retail.

Is the poor quality of this Dell an anomaly? I don't know for sure but I'll never buy another unless I go locally to Best Buy, etc.

Respected Contributor

A general rule of thumb is never to buy electronics from Qvc. Their prices are higher than other retailers.  And things like the Apple Ipads, they add needless accessories so the Ipad winds up cositing over 100 dollars more than the product costs at the Apple Store. I learned a long time ago never to purchase electronics from a televised shopping channel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bought a laptop a few years ago for my daughter from QVC. Big mistake. The technical support they tout is a joke...daughter was off at college and needed dependability she could count on. Wish I could have gotten my money back. Now I know the ones they sell are outdated and overpriced. Bought her an Apple MacBook Air that she loves; it was refurbished and purchased from Apple with full warranty and it looks and performs like a new one; best money I ever spent.  DH bought a Dell laptop at Costco; have never had a single problem with it and they offer a concierge service which is great if you need it. I could kick myself for ever buying one from QVC.