Honored Contributor

Re: Sggestions For A Home Printer Please

I finally gave up on inkjet printers due to the ink costs.I had a great Epson printer that was fabulous but cost $90 for the ink refills. It used six cartridges and they were little. When you'd change one cartridge it would "prime" the system and you'd see about ten percent of the ink go out in the priming. And with six cartridges you were always changing one cartridge and seeing another ten percent drop in the ink levels. Sometimes I'd go a couple of weeks between printing things and then one or more cartridge would have dried up/clogged and you'd either need to replace that cartridge or have the printer clean itself which would eat more ink.

I finally got a cheap ($49) Samsung laser printer that I've now used for almost a year with no real trouble. The only issue at all is the new GP printer paper I bought is a little slippery for it and you sometimes have to nudge the paper a bit, but as problems go, that's not too bad.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Visitor

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with the others who suggested you go for a laser printer since you want good quality black, and need to scan and fax.  My suggestions - either the 'Canon imageCLASS MF216n' or 'Brother MFCL2700DW'. I bought the Canon for my mother and it produces great quality, clear and crisp pages, and she loves it. I got it for less than $100 on Amazon, and it's currently slightly more but the quality and features are still worth every penny.
Of course you can get much cheaper inkjet printers, but these days few of them have the fax feature you want. Laser printers have large ink cartridges which can print more pages than an inkjet's little ink cartridges can, and the powdered ink (called 'toner') also never dries out like inkjet ink does. You can get a color laser as well, for about $250 and even at that price it's a no brainer IMHO. Smiley Happy
However, even if you decide to get another inkjet, do make sure you research and factor in the running costs - OEM inkjet ink is ridiculously expensive compared to laser toner and you can't get generic cartridges for every printer. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it's been a week since you inquired about printers, @HerRoyaLioness ,  but this one popped up last night while I was tuned in to the southern channel.

HP ENVY 5644 Wireless Photo Printer, Copier and Scanner with 1-Month Instant Ink and Software

521-372   $59.95

The ratings are high and the price is right (FlexPays available) so you may want to have a looksee.   Extended returns would give you plenty of time to put it through its paces. HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Esteemed Contributor

We just brought a HP Envy printer for 89.00 from the HP site and like it very much. Easy to use and we are very happy with it. Got it on sale and it was shipped for free and in one day ... Very impressed with HP.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

We do not print in color.  We have a Brother Laser printer/scanner.  Works great.  Has a large, easy-to-change ink cartridge.  Also has a print drum that is easy to replace.  I can manually feed envelopes when needed.  It just works great for us.

Occasional Contributor

One comment no one has made is about crafting with the prints or copies made by your printer.  If you buy an ink jet printer and want to do any craft projects with the print outs, you will want to buy an Epson printer as they are the ONLY brand whose ink is pigment based rather than water based.  

Water based inks will run when you use water based products, glue or finish for example, with the print.  The printers are about the same cost and the replacement cartridges are about the same cost as other brands.  However it makes a huge difference  as to how you can use the prints if you go with HP, Lexmark etc or use no name cartridge replacements.  

Contributor

I have used several differnt printers now I have a HP 6520  multi function....works fine and the ink seems to last longer and costs a little less than some others..

Lexmark I see no longer have home printers that is a good thing.....when I bought the one I had and then needed ink...it cost more for the ink than the printer cost so I tossed it and bought a new printer....lol

Honored Contributor

I gave up on HP after several units, had nothing but issues with their inability to maintain network connection in my house (not going to get into that here)

got a Brother on a BF sale and it's has been much more consistent than the HP ever was.

FWIW print quality is the same, 

OP  you can look up BF sales now to find the deals, printers will be cheap then

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gokat wrote:

I know it's been a week since you inquired about printers, @HerRoyaLioness ,  but this one popped up last night while I was tuned in to the southern channel.

HP ENVY 5644 Wireless Photo Printer, Copier and Scanner with 1-Month Instant Ink and Software

521-372   $59.95

The ratings are high and the price is right (FlexPays available) so you may want to have a looksee.   Extended returns would give you plenty of time to put it through its paces. HTH'sWoman Happy

That printer is pretty much exactly what I wanted! And the price is amazing, with free shipping.  However, I bought almost the exact one the day before for $79. I installed it with no problems and it is working great so far. Kind of wish I had waited one more day though!

Thanks to all who responded.