Esteemed Contributor

Re: Several Friends Bought Smart TV's

I have an LG SmartTv and love it.  I use the features I want and ignore the rest. I used the remote to look at everything, it really guided me through everything.  I still find new stuff to play with. I have my old plasma moved into bedroom and unfortunately it still works well enough that I can't justify replacing yet, it's dumber than dumber. Can't even connect to internet.  I will get a smartTv when it goes to TV heaven.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I tried to buy a non-smart (a stupid TV) but I couldn't find one. So I had to buy a smart TV and most of the stuff on it doesn't apply to me. I like simple stupid stuff.

Since I, too, have no interest in the 'smart' features, I've been wondering if it's possible to just not have any of that 'turned on' (or whatever) and just operate like any other tv. 

I just want it to operate as a tv and plug in my Tivo and the other HDMI streaming devices like what I do now.

@chickenbutt

Crutchfields.com may be able to help you find a TV that will run your devices. This company has good customer service. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

And the irony is none of them can figure out how to use them!  Woman Embarassed

How about you?Woman Very Happy

@Sooner 

Me and a smart TV? They may outsmart me at the start, but 1 step at a time I will learn every smart trick it possesses. From that point on? I will probably only use 4 or 5 of their smartness features.

I have had many electronics over the decades, and some of them were much harder to outsmart than these smartas* new TV sets, but by my 1 step at a time method, I always won those battles of wits, not smartness.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I tried to buy a non-smart (a stupid TV) but I couldn't find one. So I had to buy a smart TV and most of the stuff on it doesn't apply to me. I like simple stupid stuff.

Since I, too, have no interest in the 'smart' features, I've been wondering if it's possible to just not have any of that 'turned on' (or whatever) and just operate like any other tv. 

I just want it to operate as a tv and plug in my Tivo and the other HDMI streaming devices like what I do now.

@chickenbutt The way some of ours work, if you have a cable controller, that one is just like regular tv except you can record.  So maybe that's an option.  The stupid "smart" stuff is only there is you use the TV controller, not the cable one.  They are LG.

Valued Contributor

@Nuttmeg - I have a smart dumb TV.  I plugged it in and plugged in the HDTV antenna cord and I get my local channels.  I put an Amazon Firestick in the hdmi place (since I already had one) and it works fine.  I did NOT set up any of the wireless access for the TV itself.  So yes, from my experience it it totally possible to set a smart TV up dumb.  We got one for my mom and hers is connected to her cable box but we also did not pair it up to her wireless.  

To @chickenbutt's point, I actually have a tiny 13 inch TV circa 1983.  It has a digital converter box connected to it and a VCR!!  Since the TV is so old it has a built in tuner and I get lots of channels with just the antenna the TV came with way back when.  I am also of the take care of it until it drops mentality (hence the washer from 1983 and the dishwasher from 1989, etc.).  Made in USA.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@chickenbutt

Crutchfields.com may be able to help you find a TV that will run your devices. This company has good customer service. 

@Nuttmeg Some of ours are "regular" tv's if you go through the cable controller not the tv remote.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   I use the Dish remote mostly but the LG remote when I want to access a smartTv feature. Works for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@chickenbutt   I have two smart TV's, and I never use the Apps they came with.  I have a Tivo on one TV and a Comcast DVR for the other one.  I had to buy a Firestick to get Apple TV because neither Smart TV had that app.  Comcast and Tivo don't have Apple TV apps either (or at least my versions don't).  In other words, you can use it just like a regular TV.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nuttmeg Some of ours are "regular" tv's if you go through the cable controller not the tv remote.

Now, that's interesting.  I use the Tivo remote w/my living room and bdrm TVs, so that's encouraging.  I only have to pull out the TV remote to change from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and haven't even used the cable remotes for ages.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@chickenbutt   I have two smart TV's, and I never use the Apps they came with.  I have a Tivo on one TV and a Comcast DVR for the other one.  I had to buy a Firestick to get Apple TV because neither Smart TV had that app.  Comcast and Tivo don't have Apple TV apps either (or at least my versions don't).  In other words, you can use it just like a regular TV.

I, too, recently purchased a Fire Stick because I wanted to get HBO Max (free since I have HBO on cable) and they don't have Max on Tivos or on Roku.    Now, however, (and probably since I just got the Stick, as Murphy's Law seems to apply in about everything I do!) HBO Max has just come to Roku.   Oh well.   At least the Fire Stick didn't cost me hardly anything.