Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have an old IMac....it runs, nothing that I know of wrong with it but it's old.  I'd have to power it up to check the OS.  Is there a market for old computers? Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Recycling collection facility

They send to a chop shop - where all the metals are removed to be made into something else - parts are parts = $ and keeps it out of the landfills. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   ***STRONGLY*** suggest you read Apple's KB Article prior to selling and/or donating your iMac.......

copy/paste link--->support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

============================

There are plenty of places that will take old comps for "parts."  Research your city.

Some folks will use an old Mac as a network server, jukebox, DJ, radio, etc., if you go the "donate" route.

Some Mac resellers will "pay" for old as well as broken Macs.  Again, research your city.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

be sure to sign the device out of your apple id account

you can mark it lost/or sold

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have an old IMac....it runs, nothing that I know of wrong with it but it's old.  I'd have to power it up to check the OS.  Is there a market for old computers? Thanks

I vote for reuse and donate.  As suggested, sign out of all your accounts, backup or save your data and restore to factory conditions. 

I've donated multiple computers over the years and one thing I do is update them before I give them away.  I update the operating system, add a free antivirus program and I install a free "Office" program.  If you aren't going to donate for reuse, this step is unnecessary.  You'd be surprised how many people don't have a computer and unless it's a security risk (Windows 7), they will gladly take an older machine.  I've donated to the local Boys and Girls club and they welcomed the computer. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear ...I'd have to figure out how to do that....this machine was only used at home as a back upto my work computer.  I don't remember anything about an ID account

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear ...I'd have to figure out how to do that....

Apple's KB Article link provides detailed instructions.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac ...I am so ignorant when it comes to my computer...I can run the programs but that's it...thanks!