Honored Contributor

Re: Saying Goodbye To Tracfone

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm on a budget, so I will probably go with Tracfone or Mint Mobile. Either way I need a new phone, I would think getting a Tracfone from QVC or HSN is probably the cheapest option rather than buying an unlocked phone and going to Mint Mobile. Does anyone know if there are additional fees ( other than taxes) to the Tracfone plans? Also, can you change plans month to month if you need to if you are enrolled in auto refill for one plan?

Tracfone is hard to beat if you're on a budget. There are no additional fees. The phones at HSN and QVC come with a full year's service. If you exceed the amount given then you can just buy whichever component you need (talk, texts, data) at a very good price. Neither home shopping service has a really good deal right now, but they typically have a sale around the start of the new school year, so prices could drop soon. (I'm glad I got my Motorola G Stylus when I did as it's been pricier ever since then.) 

I would avoid the LG's as LG is now out of the phone business and just selling off their stockpile of phones. while they promise to support them going forward, those promises are often written in smoke.

You may also qualify for free service under the Emergency Broadband Benefit if you meet certain qualifications.  You can check to see at tracfone.com/ebb. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

@Jordan2  I have a tracphone and I go to their website and buy the yearly plan every year. $102 for last year...It is up next month so I will do the same.  then I don't have to worry about it every month...check out their website for plans

Honored Contributor

@89135 wrote:

@Jordan2  I have a tracphone and I go to their website and buy the yearly plan every year. $102 for last year...It is up next month so I will do the same.  then I don't have to worry about it every month...check out their website for plans

@89135 what do you get for a year, is it only the length of the year or do you get minutes, texts, and data with it?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2  I get the Basic Plan for 99.99 plus taxes...365 service days, 400 minutes.  I don't use my cell much mostly just incase of emergency etc....I bought my cell thru HSN awhile back when they offered triple minutes, texts, etc for life so I'm set...I have alot of unused..;-) Go to their website and check out their plans..

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why buy just the plan for $99, when you get the same 1 year plan with 1500 mins/ text/data and a new phone for half that price. qvc tracfone bundles start as low as $49.99, same with HSN, and HSN usually ships free.

E235441 is $49.99 with one year and 1500 mins/texts/data. I bought it, it is a very good phone, yes it is an LG but it has the latest version of android, works very well. I buy a new phone bundle like this every year from either QVC or HSN. The minutes/text/data carryover, I get a new phone, what's not to love.

Honored Contributor

I've never had Tracfone.  I buy my phones from Amazon, unlocked and pay full price for them.  I then go shopping to different carriers

Occasional Contributor

Right. Well you can unlock your tracfone after one year. If you are not a big cell phone user, either talking, texting or data using, Tracfone is much less than most of the big carriers, you can go the minutes route, or the unlimited talk/ text and 1gb data (which carries over if unused) for $20 a month, plans with more data are available, too. Verizon owns Tracfone, so Verizon cell towers are used, and , whether home or travelling in the U.S., coverage is really good. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Right now is back to school and holidays are coming up.  Cell companies will have free phone specials with monthly plans.

I would get a good cell phone, especially if you have family.

Hold tight!

Honored Contributor

I've never had a "bad" cell phone. I've only ever used Tracfones and their phones tend to become obsolete more than wear out or fail. The pricing for both the phones and service are hard to beat. My newest phone is the Motorola Moto G Stylus which is a great phone. I paid $175 for it (on sale here a month or two ago) and a year's service, and to buy just the phone unlocked is $250 at Amazon and up to $300 elsewhere. It's the same phone and for $175 I got the phone and a year's service for a phone with 128 GBs of storage. In a minor miracle, it hasn't gone on sale at a lower price since I bought it. It's been at the $200-$225 price point since then on the shopping channels. I'm glad I grabbed it when I did.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had Tmobile contracts for several years, stuck for 2 years, upgrade to a new phone stuck for another 2 years, paying for more service than I used and a myriad of unknown taxes and fees. I finally got out of that and went with Tracfone, never looked back or regretted it, and I get myself a new, updated android phone every year You can also get a Tracfone iPhone if you prefer that, Tracfone sells those on their website.