Occasional Contributor

Samsung Galaxy Tablet and storage

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" 8GB tablet. I have purchased a few movies for it. A couple have downloaded directly to the tablet and have used most of the device memory, despite the fact that I have installed a 64GB micro SD card. Anytime I attempt to watch a movie, it tells me that I won't be able to unless I am online, and the space available on the card never goes down. Does anyone know how to download the movies to the SD card and bypass the device memory? Any comments will be appreciated. Samsung customer service was not very helpful. Just told me to go to "My Files" and that was it. The ability to install a micro SD card was a big selling point, but what good is it if you can't access it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tablet and storage

I found this answer on the internet. I hope it helps.

Go to settings, storage, then select default video storage to sd card. I might also add that you should pick sd versions over hd versions of video because sd takes up less storage.

Esteemed Contributor

A YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sVKxzh4p8Y

There are other videos that might help you with your tablet.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

mima, believe me, I have tried that. When I go to storage, it does not give me the option to select default video storage to sd card. And, when I have purchased movies, I haven't bought the hd version because it says my device isn't compatible.

nutmeg 3, I watched that video. It's for the Galaxy Tab 2. I don't find the scissors, etc., that he's talking about on my device.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/13/2014 jaymar said:

mima, believe me, I have tried that. When I go to storage, it does not give me the option to select default video storage to sd card. And, when I have purchased movies, I haven't bought the hd version because it says my device isn't compatible.

nutmeg 3, I watched that video. It's for the Galaxy Tab 2. I don't find the scissors, etc., that he's talking about on my device.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1772970/set-default-download-location-card.html

There are other links below that might help. You can always find a service manual for your tablet at Samsung support. This company has some of the best written manuals.

Trusted Contributor

If you go to My Files, you can select the files for the movies and move them to the SD card from there. What app did you use to download the movies? That's where you should be choosing the download location.

Occasional Contributor

This is a follow up to my downloading problems to the microSD card. I watched videos on You Tube and the Samsung website but was never able to download movies to the external card. I took the tablet to Best Buy where their Samsung expert tried unsuccessfully to download the movies I have from the tablet to the card. I bought these movies from the Google Play Store. He said they weren't allowing me to download to the card for copyright reasons. I may loan or copy them illegally. This is really disappointing. I wasn't concerned about buying an 8gb tablet because it was expandable with a miscroSD card up to 64gb, which I did. Now, it's just an 8gb tablet. I am very unhappy with the misrepresentations that were given about expanding the memory. I'm not wanting to download any word documents, books, or whatever. I wanted to be able to download movies so they could be watched anywhere. The 8gb of the tablet are taken up quickly by all the preloaded programs, etc., that came with the tablet. Guess this was an expensive mistake on my part, $200 plus the cost of the 64gb microSD card. I won't buy another Samsung, and any other tablet I might buy will have bigger storage to begin with, at least 32gb. Now I'm stuck with a tablet that is not very useful.

Super Contributor

I don't have a samsung tablet, but don't you have some sort of cloud storage with this? Maybe it's a cloud through google, where you downloaded the movies from? If so, why can't you send the movies to the cloud to get them off of your tablet and get your space back? If and when you want to watch them, you download them from the cloud again. You won't need to pay for them again, just download from the cloud. Also, the cloud should let you watch the movies from the cloud without downloading them, provided you are connected to the internet.
Respected Contributor

Perhaps contacting the manufacturer directly and inquiring, would be the best way to try and have these concerns properly addressed.

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

On 7/31/2014 adoreqvc said:

Perhaps contacting the manufacturer directly and inquiring, would be the best way to try and have these concerns properly addressed.

Good Luck!

There is nothing to address. The reason for the block to a SD card is copyright laws. Samsung can't do anything to change that.

I downloaded an audiobook through iTunes to my iMac and found I couldn't download it to another device without buying it again. I also couldn't make a CD/DVD of the file. Just like a movie, it's to protect it from illegal sharing.