Honored Contributor

My Spectrum cable just jumped in cost $84 and I'm considering streaming, although I still have much to learn, including why people think it's better than satellite or cable. 

From some of the comments here, I'm guessing that you can't just sign up for one streaming service ... and there is also additional equipment you need to buy.   

After talking to a Spectrum CS person yesterday, they said I could save money by dropping my 300mg to 100mg, but I honestly have no idea what I actually need.  

Do you need more than one streaming service to see regular channels like ABC, CBS, etc? 

I guess I need to see if there's a book Streaming For Dummies!  Woman LOL

All feedback and suggestions are VERY welcome.      

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44.  Go to "search forums and blogs" above and enter "cutting the cord".  It should answer most of your questions then come back here to ask more.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't know that much about streaming, but you should be able to get ABC, NBC, & CBS using your local affiliate and an over-the-air antenna, if you live close enough.  Otherwise, I see no reason to have more than one streaming service if you get something like Youtube TV, Sling, etc that carry most or many of the channels you're already getting on your cable service vs services like Paramount, Peacock, Netflix, etc.  

You may need to buy equipment, and make sure the tvs/devices are compatible.  For example, I have a 2014 Samsung Smart TV.  That is too old for any of the streaming services.  So, it's not just the brand, it's how old the device is.  

My other gripe is there doesn't seem to be a way to get in touch with a real person to discuss these things.  I was considering possibly Sling at one time, but I'd really like to talk to one of their reps to see if there's a way to work with my TV.  

Occasional Contributor

Re: STEAMING 101

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess While your current tv may not be 'smart' enough for streaming by itself, check if it has a HDMI port. If you have the capacity for wifi in your home, and there is a HDMI port on your tv, you can connect a Firestick, a Roku or a Chromecast device to your tv and stream Sling or YouTube TV through the device.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

You may need to buy equipment, and make sure the tvs/devices are compatible.  For example, I have a 2014 Samsung Smart TV.  That is too old for any of the streaming services.  So, it's not just the brand, it's how old the device is.  

My other gripe is there doesn't seem to be a way to get in touch with a real person to discuss these things.  I was considering possibly Sling at one time, but I'd really like to talk to one of their reps to see if there's a way to work with my TV.  

@Icegoddess  Interesting about your 2014 smart tv.  I have a 30+ yr old Toshiba dumb (non-smart) TV in my bedroom that is hooked up to a Firestick 3rd generation which works flawlessly.  The 2nd generation died on me after 3 or 4 yrs  for some strange reason. 

A Firestick should work on your tv on a HDMI port/slot.

If you want to speak w/a real person, all streaming servics have message boards monitored & answered by streaming service "staff" Add, most if not all have FB pages which are public.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Have you called Spectrum and asked for their "customer retention department"???  It has worked for me with RCN/Astound.  I am VERY reluctant to give up cable because I am technology illiterate and just want to turn on the TV and see a listing of channels.  Do not want to keep track of "streaming" services and have no idea how to access them.   Watching TV used to be simple--LOL!!

Honored Contributor

How much speed you need, in mbps, mostly depends on how many devices will be connected to your wifi. If you have 300 mbps now and are only using a few devices on your wifi, I would drop down to 100 and save a bunch. With 100 mbps you can stream most video (including 4K), use your laptop(s) and also have a few other smart devices connected all at once w/o issues. 

No smart TV? Then you will need to purchase a streaming device like Roku or Firestick and some others also. Those devices need to be connected to the back of your TV in a HDMI port. 

You do not need to subscribe to more than one streaming service unless what you want to watch is premium or exclusive. Most streaming services get you the major networks and many of the other 'cable' channels without spending extra. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

My Spectrum cable just jumped in cost $84 and I'm considering streaming, although I still have much to learn, including why people think it's better than satellite or cable. 

From some of the comments here, I'm guessing that you can't just sign up for one streaming service ... and there is also additional equipment you need to buy.   

After talking to a Spectrum CS person yesterday, they said I could save money by dropping my 300mg to 100mg, but I honestly have no idea what I actually need.  

Do you need more than one streaming service to see regular channels like ABC, CBS, etc? 

I guess I need to see if there's a book Streaming For Dummies!  Woman LOL

All feedback and suggestions are VERY welcome.      

Spectrum increases all the time!  We are going to switch to Youtube tv.  $75/mo and you get local channels and MANY other good ones too.  I know several families who use it and love it.  Good luck!  You just need a Roku or FIre stick if you do not have a smart tv.

Honored Contributor

@Marilyn30031 wrote:

@Icegoddess While your current tv may not be 'smart' enough for streaming by itself, check if it has a HDMI port. If you have the capacity for wifi in your home, and there is a HDMI port on your tv, you can connect a Firestick, a Roku or a Chromecast device to your tv and stream Sling or YouTube TV through the device.

@Marilyn30031 Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to know for sure.  The websites don't tell you that, just that the TV needs to be at least a certain year.  We do currently have a Firestick, although that might also be too old.  We never quite figured out how to use that either.  It was a pain since we had to change the TV over to that port which was a different remote.  We didn't know how to find stuff which I found frustrating.  

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess  Interesting about your 2014 smart tv.  I have a 30+ yr old Toshiba dumb (non-smart) TV in my bedroom that is hooked up to a Firestick 3rd generation which works flawlessly.  The 2nd generation died on me after 3 or 4 yrs  for some strange reason. 

A Firestick should work on your tv on a HDMI port/slot.

If you want to speak w/a real person, all streaming servics have message boards monitored & answered by streaming service "staff" Add, most if not all have FB pages which are public.

@Mz iMac Thanks, I'll look into the Facebook pages.  My husband wants to do it more than I do, but he hasn't even bothered to look at what is offered.  I'm kinda picky in that I like to watch college football and am adamant that I get Reelz Live so I can watch On Patrol Live when it's Live.  I have friends who have Sling, but they only have the very basic and use an antenna for the local stations.  I'm also a recorder, so the number of hours of recordings available is another biggie for me.