Esteemed Contributor

I bought a new router and I'm wondering if I rename the new unit to the SSID I use for my current router and change the password to the one I am using now if I can avoid having to re-register all my devices.  Will this work?  So many devices, too little patience lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Call the router manufacturer customer support.  They will advise you on what to do regarding your "setup."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I bought a new router and I'm wondering if I rename the new unit to the SSID I use for my current router and change the password to the one I am using now if I can avoid having to re-register all my devices.  Will this work?  So many devices, too little patience lol.

Absolutely!  I have done that twice when I prchased a new router.  There is no need to call anyone.  You do need to get into the router settings to change the name and password.  Do a Google search for your brand and follow the instructions

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, thank you.  I did go ahead and set up the new router last night.  I was confident I wouldn't be setting myself up for problems just changing the SSID and password but posted to get any warnings others might have.

I always reserve technical support for last resort purposes.  While tech support solves problems I don't learn anything so I prefer to fight it out on my own until I run out of options lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@glb613, thank you.  I did go ahead and set up the new router last night.  I was confident I wouldn't be setting myself up for problems just changing the SSID and password but posted to get any warnings others might have.

I always reserve technical support for last resort purposes.  While tech support solves problems I don't learn anything so I prefer to fight it out on my own until I run out of options lol.

I was referring to the previous poster's advice to call tech support.  All routers come with a default name and security password or passcode.  To make it easier, it is often listed on the router so people don't have to remember.  You can change it to anything you like and many people do.