Trusted Contributor

Roku streaming stick........HELP setting up (for dummies)

I have so many question I don't even know where to begin, but I did buy the Roku streaming stick, model 3600 today at Walmart.  I watched a couple of videos on how to set it up, but I'm having problems almost immediately.

I think I finally paired the remote that came with it to my TV, as the "pick your language" screen came up, but no matter what button I push on the remote, I can't get any further.  "English" is highlighted, but nothing else is happening.  Can someone please tell me what I need to do in this case?

Also, I would love to know what channels are free with Roku, but I understand there is no way to find that out until your Roku is all set up.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get QVC, as my cable company took it away from me some months ago, and I really miss it?

Any help, tips, advice is very much appreciated!  TIA!

Valued Contributor

Re: Roku streaming stick........HELP setting up (for dummies)

[ Edited ]

Hi @Sue98 - I cannot help you with the set up, I set ours up too long ago (old brain).  But, I can tell you that I much prefer to add channels via my laptop after logging in to my Roku account versus using the remote and the TV screen.  Once added to your account via your laptop, they will show up on the TV screen.  I just find it easier this way but I know everyone is different.  Hopefully someone who has set up their Roku streaming stick recently can assist you and get you past selecting your language.  Good luck!  

ps - I do get QVC and HSN on our Roku.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know what version of Roku I have because I have had it for years.  Try unplugging it and starting over, perhaps it froze up.  Otherwise hit the OK button to select English then hit the HOME button.

Yes, QVC is there along with all the other shopping channels.

Honored Contributor

Do you have the Roku stick inserted in the port on your TV and plugged in? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it is inserted and plugged into the wall.

Trusted Contributor

Here's a video for your model direct from Roku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrxq0iyP6s

Trusted Contributor

Part of the problem seems to be that my router is on the first floor of my 120 yr. old house.  I have my new Roku hooked up to my tv on the second floor.  I get HORRIBLE internet connection on the second floor of my house!

Do I need a new router?  If so, can you recommend a good one with a long range?  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@Sue98 - do you have another TV that is closer?  So you can at least get it set up?  That way you know it is working and then you can try it on a different TV that is farther away?  I know ours gets a little picky sometimes and the router is not that far away.

Trusted Contributor

A stronger/newer Router might help you out.  I had terrific results with mine as soon as I installed the better router.  Roku, so far, has been flawless.  There also is an "extender" for your router which also be what you need.  I thought about getting an extender, but as soon as the new router was installed, I did not need an extender.  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks!  Can you tell me what router you got and how much it costs?