Honored Contributor

My tv is a 2017 model and, surprise, it doesn't have an HDMI port.  Is there and HDMI to USB port adapter that will work with Roku?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

youtube

google

amazon

Honored Contributor

I would talk with someone at Best Buy, or use their online chat.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

You'll need this to connect your Roku to your older TV (Amazon $13):

HDMI to RCA Converter, HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBs Composite Video Audio Converter Adapter Supports PAL/NTSC for TV Stick, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, PC, Laptop, Xbox, HDTV
61EavJlMmWL._AC_UY218_.jpg
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

On the back of your TV there should be three plugs, like this (red/white/yellow), where that adapter gets plugged into. The Roku gets plugged into the HDMI port on the adapter.

ports-small-100834368-large.jpg

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

My tv is a 2017 model and, surprise, it doesn't have an HDMI port.  Is there and HDMI to USB port adapter that will work with Roku?  Thanks!

You might want to take a closer look at the back of your HDTV. By 2017 HDMI ports were the norm. I'd be stunned if a TV from 2017 didn't have HDMI ports. By 2007, 90% of the TVs made had HDMI ports. I'm pretty sure that by 2017 that number had grown to 100%. If it has them but they're all in use, then you need an HDMI switch which will let you add additional devices to the existing ports. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

You might want to take a closer look at the back of your HDTV. By 2017 HDMI ports were the norm. I'd be stunned if a TV from 2017 didn't have HDMI ports. By 2007, 90% of the TVs made had HDMI ports. I'm pretty sure that by 2017 that number had grown to 100%. If it has them but they're all in use, then you need an HDMI switch which will let you add additional devices to the existing ports. 

If all of the HDMI ports hare being used then that adapter I posted about should solve the problem and it will simply add another HDMI port to the existing ones available or not.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

If all of the HDMI ports hare being used then that adapter I posted about should solve the problem and it will simply add another HDMI port to the existing ones available or not.

The problem is you'd lose image quality. A three-port HDMI switch costs about $10 and keeps the higher image quality you get from the HDMI format. Your way would work also, but when you switch to analog from digital you lose a bit of image quality. It's not a huge issue, but it's there. All things being equal, sticking with HDMI and a full digital signal is better. And using a switch gives you extra HDMI ports for future expansion all for around $10. That's assuming she truly has at least one HDMI port which is a pretty safe bet for a TV made in 2017. If not, then your way is the better option. I'm pretty confident a set made in 2017 has at least one HDMI port though. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

My tv is a 2017 model and, surprise, it doesn't have an HDMI port. 

@CalminHeart  I find this hard to believe.  Post a pic of the back & both sides of your T.V. 

On some t.v.s (newer & older), the HDML ports are on both or one side of the t.v. instead of on the back.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Roku problem

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

My brother came over to help me yesterday. I have 1 HDMI port and DirecTV is plugged into it.  I have just the one HDMI and one USB port.