Trusted Contributor

Review: Samsung A02s (Tracfone)

I've used Tracfones for many years and became very partial to LG phones (I had one or two Samsungs here and there).  My most recent phone was the LG K31 phone and I really liked it.  A few weeks ago I noticed the speaker was no longer working (first time I've had a phone break on me) and I couldn't hear the phone ring or hear when a text message came in.  I considered replacing it with another LG phone, but since their cell phone operation is no longer in business, I thought it might be best to move on.

After looking at all the options, I chose Samsung's A02s.  The phone itself is very nice.  It's bigger than my previous phone, the resolution is fine for my needs, as is the speaker (it was nice to have a speaker again!).  I don't take a lot of pictures, but the camera is also fine for my needs.  The battery life is good.  Everything transferred over from my old phone okay and the activation process went smoothly, although the online message box said it would take 30 minutes for the data to start working and it took about 4 hours.  Not a problem, but sometimes you wonder if there's an issue.

My only complaint, which I've also read in some other reviews, is the phone's responsiveness.  There's a bit of a lag when using it, like when you want the keyboard to come up for a text message.  Or when you go to open an app.  There's kind of a sluggishness and you wonder if you've hit the key you meant to hit.  To be honest, it's kind of annoying, but it's not bad enough to make me return the phone.  I'm still not partial to Samsung phones and I will really miss LG.  Maybe I'll try another brand's phone down the line.

Thanks for reading! 

P.S.  From my understanding, Verizon now owns Tracfone.  Does this mean you can go into a Verizon store and buy a Tracfone from there?  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Review: Samsung A02s (Tracfone)

@Stargazer77    Thanks for the good review.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The best phone I ever used was a Sony Xperia many years ago, it was a gift from my late husband.

I've had several Samsung Galaxy Tracfones the past 10 years and I'm done with cheap phones.   I use my phone for email, messaging, emails, maps & so much more.    I want something better than my current A10e

Trusted Contributor

@software, my first cell phone was a Nokia. This is going back almost 25 years. I always loved Nokia and I noticed they were selling them for Tracfone. I almost bought that one, but was unsure how good they were nowadays, so the Samsung it was. Maybe I'll branch out for my next phone. 

I haven't tried the maps yet. I should do that. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you'll love your next phone.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

The best phone I ever used was a Sony Xperia many years ago, it was a gift from my late husband.

I've had several Samsung Galaxy Tracfones the past 10 years and I'm done with cheap phones.   I use my phone for email, messaging, emails, maps & so much more.    I want something better than my current A10e.

@software

Samsung has released some new phone recently. You can find them with a Google search. You Tube will have reviews. You can then buy an unlocked phone from Samsung. Com or,, Best Buy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stargazer77

When a customer buys a phone from Verizon. You buy a Verizon data plan. Please check the company website. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

I've used Tracfones for many years and became very partial to LG phones (I had one or two Samsungs here and there).  My most recent phone was the LG K31 phone and I really liked it.  A few weeks ago I noticed the speaker was no longer working (first time I've had a phone break on me) and I couldn't hear the phone ring or hear when a text message came in.  I considered replacing it with another LG phone, but since their cell phone operation is no longer in business, I thought it might be best to move on.

After looking at all the options, I chose Samsung's A02s.  The phone itself is very nice.  It's bigger than my previous phone, the resolution is fine for my needs, as is the speaker (it was nice to have a speaker again!).  I don't take a lot of pictures, but the camera is also fine for my needs.  The battery life is good.  Everything transferred over from my old phone okay and the activation process went smoothly, although the online message box said it would take 30 minutes for the data to start working and it took about 4 hours.  Not a problem, but sometimes you wonder if there's an issue.

My only complaint, which I've also read in some other reviews, is the phone's responsiveness.  There's a bit of a lag when using it, like when you want the keyboard to come up for a text message.  Or when you go to open an app.  There's kind of a sluggishness and you wonder if you've hit the key you meant to hit.  To be honest, it's kind of annoying, but it's not bad enough to make me return the phone.  I'm still not partial to Samsung phones and I will really miss LG.  Maybe I'll try another brand's phone down the line.

Thanks for reading! 

P.S.  From my understanding, Verizon now owns Tracfone.  Does this mean you can go into a Verizon store and buy a Tracfone from there?  

@Stargazer77 

If you have read any of my posts on cell phones, you will see I seldom even turn it on, so! 

I recently got and set up the same phone you reviewed here. Read another rather negative review about this phone, so this is what I did.

My wife's main cell is a Samsung S10 phone, not cheap by my standards. I asked her to use my phone for a few days to see how it worked.

She had no complaints about lag/dropped calls/texting problems, and she thinks to camera/still pix, and video, are comparable to her S10. She also said there were 2 places where her S10 dropped calls, but my Ao2s had no problem.

Only did this to understand if this were true of all A02s phones. Obviously it is not a problem in my area, or I can assure you, my wife takes her texting very seriously. Were there a problem, there is no way she would not have let me know.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yes, the TV and my inbox are inundated with Samsung's current promotion.   I plan to upgrade soon, I've been comparing specs

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@software wrote:

I've had several Samsung Galaxy Tracfones the past 10 years and I'm done with cheap phones.   I use my phone for email, messaging, emails, maps & so much more.    I want something better than my current A10e.

@software

Samsung has released some new phone recently. You can find them with a Google search. You Tube will have reviews. You can then buy an unlocked phone from Samsung. Com or,, Best Buy. 

Super Contributor

I would like to upgrade from my Samsung A10e but I just don't want a larger phone and that seems the way they are going.

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes    I agree, I'm looking for smaller, much smaller phones.  I ran across a tiny, ancient flip-phone in a drawer recently and so wished I could still use it.  It fit my hand perfectly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment