Honored Contributor

Resolution (?) is Horrible on some pics!

When I'm looking at some pics online, the resolution is horrible.

The pictures are hard to see, the colors are faded.  Kind of reminds me of either Andy Warhol's color painting of Marilyn Monroe with a little bit of The Misfits (not the movie) skull mixed in.

I know that the images aren't supposed to look like that.  It's definitely my computer.

I've gone to settings to see if changing the resolution makes a difference.  It's set on the recommended and makes no diff if I change it.

Am not even sure if the word 'resolution' is correct.  On a TV it would be contrast, sharpness, etc.  

Is there something I'm missing when I go into settings to change this?

I even try to tilt my screen to get a better, clearer view and it sort of *fades* back to murkiness.

Then the next pic is clear as day!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Honored Contributor

Re: Resolution (?) is Horrible on some pics!

Mac or PC?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

PC.

Hard to explain, but the screen keeps going from bright to darker to bright.  Something is very off and very sensitive.  

And yet other times, it's fine.  

From minute to minute it's fine.

Honored Contributor

My experience is w/Macs.  With Macs, you can calibrate "color" if having difficulties.

Not sure if PCs have that option.

Anywho, if calibration does not work, from the symtoms you are describing, you may have a dying motherboard/logic board and/or graphic card=costly repair(s).

If a PC expert does not chime in here, suggest you contact the comp manufacturer technical support & describe your issues to them for further instructions, post in the PC (your model) forums and/or visit YouTube tutorials.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Interesting. Does the clarity of a photo change while viewing it? In other words, does a sharp photo lose it's sharpness, or does a less sharp photo suddenly become sharp? If so, then it's most likely an issue with the computer, possibly something as simple as a loose connection.

If the less sharp photos are always less sharp, and the good photos are always good, then it's more likely the source that's the problem. If you're viewing the photos online, make sure you're visiting their desktop site and not their mobile site. Some websites use lower quality images on their mobile site to speed up the downloads, assuming the viewer won't notice due to the lower resolution of their portable display. Some sites also send out lower quality thumbnails of the photo that link to a higher quality image. It's possible you're just getting the thumbnail.

I'm not at my computer right now, but I believe there are options for how photos get handled in some web browsers. You might want to dive into the settings menu of whatever browser you're using to see if changing those settings will help. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My opinion only.  Photographs should be taken with a real camera. 

For every day unimportant stuff, a phone pic will do.  But if you're looking to actually frame a portrait or it's an important event, you still need a photographer with a real camera.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

For every day unimportant stuff, a phone pic will do.  But if you're looking to actually frame a portrait or it's an important event, you still need a photographer with a real camera.

My iPhone takes better photos than a camera. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

My iPhone takes better photos than a camera. 

The new Google Pixel 2 gets raves for its camera also. The amount of tech they're squeezing into phones these days is amazing. A modern smartphone can replace a digital camera, camcorder, voice recorder, GPS unit, laptop, handheld gaming console, and more. And do so without sacrificing quality. It's impressive how far the tech has come in the last ten to twenty years. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Thanks for the info.  I admit I know nothing about smart phones.  I only know the photos I see that have been taken with them, and perhaps that is due more to the amateur photographer than the camera.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

@gardenman

Thanks for the info.  I admit I know nothing about smart phones.  I only know the photos I see that have been taken with them, and perhaps that is due more to the amateur photographer than the camera.

Most people don't know how to take a good photo no matter what the device.  If using a point and shoot camera, you need to depress the shutter button down HALF WAY to let the lens focus then press it all the way down.  With my iPhone, I let it focus before I press the shutter button.  If you don't, the photos are blurry.