Trusted Contributor

Does anyone own one of these or know much about them?  My nephew has one box, but he is going to be getting more.  A friend of his came to his house and set it up for him.  There is no monthy fee once you purchase it, and he says you get local and live channels as well as any tv show or movie ever made (his words....lol).

I have one Roku for my kitchen TV, but the Renegade box seems to be somewhat different.  Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Does anyone own one of these or know much about them?  My nephew has one box, but he is going to be getting more.  A friend of his came to his house and set it up for him.  There is no monthy fee once you purchase it, and he says you get local and live channels as well as any tv show or movie ever made (his words....lol).

I have one Roku for my kitchen TV, but the Renegade box seems to be somewhat different.  Any thoughts?

I had to look it up to know for sure, but the Renegade box is basically a Roku type device that's been altered to look for the live streams others post (illegally I might point out) of programming and then grabs those live streams off the Internet and sends them to your TV. They have a legal disclaimer on their site that basically says all they're doing is providing you the tools to break the law, but it's not their fault if you break the law using their tools. To put it mildly, these types of services are somewhat erratic (at best) and streams start, stop, and disappear on a random and routine basis. It's perfectly legal to buy these types of boxes, and perfectly legal to use them for sites you've subscribed to, but if you're live streaming something from a site that's illegally providing it (nearly anything you'd have to pay for otherwise) then you're breaking the law. You wouldn't be alone in doing so as many, many do, but there is some long term risk involved.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Since I cut my cable a few years back, I was curious about this.  When I saw how expensive it is and that there is no monthly fee, I wondered if it is too good to be true or if you would be cut off after a period.  No idea if it is legal.