Honored Contributor

Re: Refurbished Laptops?

[ Edited ]

Make sure it has free shipping for returning it. Make sure there isn't a restocking fee if you do return it.

I don't recommend buying a used or refurb Chromebook because of the end-of-life expectancy will be shorter and you will end up having to buy another device too soon and that's fine if that's what you want. Just expect to see lower prices for Chromebooks that are coming close to their expiration dates. Cheaper means shorter lifespans in this case and you get what you pay for.

Respected Contributor

The ONLY refurbished computer I'd by is one sold by Apple, and available at the Apple website.  You can look at the details of the refurbishing process, the warranty, the availability of Apple Care as well as the products they have available for sale. 

I would NEVER buy a refurbished computer from any other source. especially an independent, 3rd party refurbishing company.  Just wouldn't trust the product.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Refurbished Laptops?

[ Edited ]

I brought refurbished desktop computers from Dell for 10 years. I got a bad one, and stopped buying them. I  did not buy any used tech products. 

I bought an Alienware laptop from Woot . It lasted 4 years. It came with a regular warranty. Woot does not allow customers to return anything. 

Dell Outet sells refurbished products of different qualities, new, certified refurbished or scratch and dent. 

Computers usually come with a one year warranty.

You can save hundreds of dollars buying a high end laptop. The risk, you need to know the product well. A hybrid cache from a boot drive. 

You can return most laptops, but a pain. 

Valued Contributor

The refurbished ones from Apple come with a good warranty and they will make it right (both ways) if you aren't satisfied.  I wouldn't hesitate with Apple refurbished products.

Honored Contributor

Remember that technology advances forward.  I would always chose the most advanced model my money could get me.  When you buy refurbished, you're going backwards. 

If that is what meets your needs, of course buy that one.

Honored Contributor

It depends on where it was refurbished.  If it was done at the factory, I wouldn't hesitate.   You'd know it was done by experts and thoroughly tested.  I got an iPad quite a few years ago from Apple which was refurbished.  It's slow but still operable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Many businesses sign rental agreements with firms these days for laptops. They may rent a thousand if they only need eight or nine hundred assuming the spares will come in handy. (Generally speaking the more of them you rent the lower the cost per computer is.) The spares may never get used at all. When the rental agreement is done, the laptops get returned and replaced with newer models. Sites like Newegg sell them for a very good price. I'd always want at least a six month warranty if I was buying one, and I'd look at some of the lower cost new options like a Chromebook also, but in some cases a refurb may be a brand new computer that was never, or seldom used. It could also have been left runing 24/7, you just never know.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I did that one day with a Dell tablet. That was a nightmare first dealing with Dell and then the tablet which never worked at all. I never brought anything from that company again after that. I would not buy another device that is not new. Just like a used car no way.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina check out Dell Laptops new.....they are now pretty reasonable.....don't know the price of refurbished.

Esteemed Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@RinaRina check out Dell Laptops new.....they are now pretty reasonable.....don't know the price of refurbished.

They are "reasonable" if you want to call it that is because they are no good. Unless you take a course in speaking Hindu I would not advise a Dell anything. The company now owned by India is horrific. It used to be good in its day but, not anymore. What made me laugh is that when you go to order one they have a american sounding gentleman or women making the sell after that its downhill all the way. Buyer beware!