Honored Contributor

Re: Recycling old laptops

[ Edited ]

@knittykitty  Once you destroy the hard drive the computer can no longer be recycled. THe OP asked how to RECYCLE. Sometimes people want to give the computer to their relative or friend to use once they are done using it. For instance we gave an outdated compuer to my cousin for use in his business , keeping the books. He doesn't get on the internet with it, just needed to be able to insert his cd in and use his bookeeping program. I know he isn't going to get some hacker to go thru the history of any data that is left on the computer once I took it to original settings.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949You are not removing data when you click "Return to Original Settings". You are simply going back to the original configurations set by the company for a beginner to use the computer.

Any data you have added to that computer is not deleted when you "Return to Original Settings". Be very careful about advising others; it is incorrect.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recycling old laptops

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirlComputers are both recycled and reused. Recycled means they are dismantled for parts and the magnets inside. Reused means they will be refurbished and resold or provided to another person for use. @151949 seems to think all recycled computers will be put back in use. Most will not be used again because software will not support older computers. Thus, recycled computers are usually used for their parts and destroying the harddrive is the safest idea to ensure your data never reaches the wrong hands. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

If the computer still works well, replacing a hard driveb because your removed one, is cheap.  They are less than $50 at retail.