Trusted Contributor

So few weeks ago I hauled my old Windows7 desktop to Best Buy for recycling. Great.  Today, since I was passing by store, I tried to drop off my little old 13 inch tv for recycling. They would take it only if I paid $25.  What?  The little thing only cost $75 new; why would I pay $25 to recycle?  Now maybe if it were some 72 inch behemoth.....but a 13 inch, the size of a tablet?  Anyone know of a store that will recycle it for free?

Respected Contributor

I don't know if it varies from state to state.  We in New York cannot recycle certain older TVs for free, unless there happens to be a special drive.  Something about what's inside the screen.  Check with your County.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

Thanks. I’ll try that. This isn’t an old fat tv; just a little flatscreen, probably weighs all of a pound. Protecting environment is important to me, but recycling needs to be made much easier at no cost. 

Honored Contributor

My small borough in PA has a recycling day once a year.  It's quite limited in scope and hours (Saturday morning only), but they usually take electronics / anything with a plug.  We have to prove we're a resident of the borough because the borough pays to have this stuff taken away.

Anyway, it's not so easy any more to safely dispose of electronics.  In my opinion, manufacturers of this stuff should be required by law to provide recycling options.

Esteemed Contributor

We had two 45 inch tv's to get rid of and we were not going to pay to have them recycled so when our bulk trash week came up we put them on the street. We always have people who cruise the neighborhood looking for recycle stuff or stuff they can use or do whatever with. They were gone within an hour. 

Respected Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Thanks. I’ll try that. This isn’t an old fat tv; just a little flatscreen, probably weighs all of a pound. Protecting environment is important to me, but recycling needs to be made much easier at no cost. 

The size has nothing to do with the price.  It's the chemicals and metals used in making the TV which is why most companies require payment. 

Honored Contributor

We have a county gov-operated hazmat disposal facility here where most electronics stuff are taken at no charge. They will not accept TVs larger than 19" however. Check your local city and county gov for more info.

Honored Contributor

Our city recycling center takes all electronic devices.  Any size.  No charge. They have to be dropped off at the center, though--no pick up.  I often see TVs in there that are newer than the ones I'm currently using!😄

I'd check with your city or county to see if anything like that is offered where you live.