Honored Contributor

Recommendations for a tablet or the like

[ Edited ]

I need some recommendations for, I believe, a tablet.

We have a very large old Mac computer which I use and which is still in good runnning order (knock on wood).  It is downstairs, however, and DH is now having difficulty going up and down, so what I was thinking was maybe getting him a tablet so he can use if wherever he wants.

However, I have no knowledge of electronics, technology, computers, etc. -- you name it!  And DH is not much better!

What would be a good, dependable, simple, basic, and inexpensive one to purchase?  Or is it some other type of machine that he would need?  

He loves looking all kinds of things up and e-mails, but not a lot.  Just something basic and uncomplicated.

I want to surprise him with it!

Thanks so much for your help! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a tablet or the like

I love my iPad.  I would recommend you go to the Apple website and compare the different models.  Decide if you want WiFi only or if you want to add the cellular option.  

Because I’ve been using an iPad since the beginning, I find the Fire Tablet from Amazon less user friendly.  It is probably just that I am so familiar with Apple that I can set up an iPad in the dark, but setting up the Fire was more difficult for me.  

Also, because of some vision problems, I have the large 12 inch iPad.  It is like having a laptop with me.  In fact, I almost never use my real laptop.  The Fire screen is very small in comparison.  

There are are others who will have totally different opinions, and that’s ok.  I’m just giving you my opinion and a couple of reasons why I prefer the iPad.

Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While not inexpensive I vote for Apple iPad.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, Another vote for the IPad. I use mine daily. When I got my last new one several years ago, I gave my old one to a friend who is older and totally not into tech. He has mastered logging on and checks his own e mails. He could do a lot more, but has me to search for him and prefers to read real books. I love that you can choose the font size, enlarge images, etc. I’d never have anything but. Your husband will love it. And they are very reliable. 

Respected Contributor

Another vote for the IPad, especially since you have a Mac.... there will be compatibiliy and communication between the two.  Then again, it depends what he wants to do with it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1

I vote for the iPad. My first one I gave to the grands because it would no longer take new updates. But otherwise, I hated to lose it!

My new one is an iPad PRO. It is now my main computer.

The screen is larger, which makes it easier to read. DH loves his. A person can do as little or as much as they care to do. It IS heavier, though.

i was wondering if Apple has refurbished ones you can try and if they will give $ if you trade in the computer.

PS DH uses his laptop in his “cave” for stocks and excel spreadsheets.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

As you all are using a an Apple product now go with a iPad will be so simple to interface 

and use 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I bought Amazon Fire Tablets for my MIL & myself.

I wanted to try a tablet, but didn't know if I needed to spend a lot of money.

I wanted to be able to listen to my audio books, play some games, check emails, etc. 

My MIL still has a flip phone & I thought it would be a good way to ease into a smart phone.

We love them & they do just the basic things that we wanted.

They do only work where I have wifi, but that hasn't been a big deal.

They were $37. 

Regular Contributor

I think for the usage you are describing, and your wish for very simple and inexpensive options, a RCA Viking Pro 10 tablet, which has a detachable keyboard, might be good for you and your husband. It is available at WalMart for about $70 to $80, in some stores but readily available for order online at the walmart website.

It is an Android operating system-- like that used on many smart phones-- and there are many "apps" available in the Google Play store. Now, if that sounds complicated, it really is not.  You can get apps-- which show up like a little picture on the tablet's home page-- that let you borrow books or movies through your local library (the Hoopla app) or read newspapers or get free movies (Crackle app) etc.  The keyboard lets you type like a regular computer, or you can detach the keyboard easily (it is held on by a magnet and you just lift it off) to use it as a tablet.

I have had Dell laptops for years, have several Kindle Fire HD, Echo, etc devices but I am amazed at how good a job my little RCA tablet does for everyday tasks.  I keep it next to my bed to check email first thing in the morning or to catch up on news right before bedtime.  I also watch movies on it.

I have had my RCA for 3 years and no problems at all.  It runs either on a built in battery or charge cord plugged into a regular wall outlet.  It runs for about 3 hours on its battery before it needs to be charged again, but you can use it while it is charging, too.

Honored Contributor

Another vote for Ipad. I have the mini and 2 ipad pros 9.7 inches and tried the 10.5 one too. Not much difference in the size but is a few hundred $$ more  so I returned it for a new 2018- 128 ipad pro. Got it at BESTBUY--they were having a sale so got it at a good price for the amount of GB.