Honored Contributor

Re: Re-setting older MacBook Air

@Mz iMac...I keep nothing stored on the MacBook.....except photos, and I have moved them already.  It was used mostly for work...transferring emailed job work to me....and I emailed a lot.....I did not watch movies, down load any apps.

The only thing left is the bookmarks and the printer that I use for the laptop.

I have trashed all old emails and documents.  Download folder is empty.

I have 5.32 GB free of a total of 59.81GB.  60.7 GM Flash Storage

Honored Contributor

Thank you @glb613...can you tell me how to "save" my bookmarks...I put all my photos on a thumb drive is that how I save the bookmarks?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs"I have 5.32 GB free of a total of 59.81GB.  60.7 GM Flash Storage"

Your comp is slow because it's running out of "storage" space.  You need to do some serious housekeeping.

I gather from your question to glb613 you definently want to restore instead of manual housekeeping which I will not go into. 

If you want to save your browser's bookmarks you will need to move the "Bookmarks.plis or Bookmarks.html file" to your flash drive.  These files depend on which browser you have which you did not mention.

If you do not know how to locate the above mentioned file, you will need to advise  which browser(s) you are using? 

You can also do a Google, YouTube tutorials and/or Binge research for detailed/step by step instructions on how to transfer browser bookmarks to another computer as well as an external drive.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac....Wow....I wonder what is taking up the storage space?  I have never downloaded an app, don't watch movies...really just emailed with customers.  I transferred files from the Macbook to my IMac at work.......I do have the mentioned bookmarks....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs

Bookmarks & "apps" take up very little space.  The following are what does:

Videos

Movies - You can burn onto DVDs to save space

Music - You can burn onto CDs directly from iTunes to save space.

Garage Band loops

gifs

photos-you can burn onto CDs/DVDs to save space

duplicate fonts

duplicate files

font caches

printer drivers (Macs store "other printer" drivers).

Languages - you only need the language you speak.  Unless you speak other language(s), those you can keep.

These utilities can help you "see" what files are hogging up your storage space:

Disk Inventory X - derlien.com

OmniDiskSweeper - omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/download

This website:  macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2006/08/slimharddrive/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac...thank you for the assistance.....still pondering what is taking up so much space....I will look over what you suggested.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Thank you @glb613...can you tell me how to "save" my bookmarks...I put all my photos on a thumb drive is that how I save the bookmarks?

It's easy.  If using Safari, click on bookmarks at the top of the page.  Select edit bookmarks and a new page will pop up.  Click on file then export bookmarks and select your flash drive as the destination.  

Before you do the reset, make sure you have saved everything you can't afford to lose.  That includes documents, photos, movies, music, e-mail, etc.  If you have programs you purchased from the App store, you can reinstall them from the App store once the reset is completed.  If you have programs from other vendors, make sure you have the activation key so you can reinstall them.  If you can't find the original installation file or disk, e-mail the company and request the information. 

If you don't have the disks to reinstall your printer, you can go to the website and download the file.  I'd download everything prior to proceeding.  I know it sounds like a lot but, most of the saving should be part of your maintenance protocol on a regular basis.  I have absolutely no regrets resetting my Macbook Pro.  It was so sluggish, it was a pain to use.  Once the reset was completed, it ran like new.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs,   There's more than enough information on this thread about looking at the storage on your device, so I won't try to add to that.   (Unfortunately, El Capitan doesn't have the "manage storage" in the Apple menu that was introduced with Sierra.)    It sounds like you know how you used the older device, so unless you feel you might have something there you forgot about, investing substantial time in researching the storage is probably more about curiosity than a need to know -- but that's a personal and subjective issue.     I agree with @glb613 about resetting the Mac (or iPads and iPhones, for that matter) -- as long as we're sure we have a good backup of anything we don't want to lose, it's a great way to optimize the device and something I've done many, many times.   

Regarding your bookmarks:   You can sync browser bookmarks from one device to another (some use iCloud or Handoff).    You don't mention the specific browser, and the instructions vary from one browser to another, so do an internet search for something like "sync [nameofbrowser] bookmarks across devices" to read about this.   Also, there's a very old-school, sort of "sneakernet"🙃 method if you don't have an enormous number of bookmarks -- copy and paste the URL of each one into an email message, mail it to yourself.    Then, open mail on the new device, click each URL, and add the bookmarks to your browser.    Happy computing, my friend!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo...thank you..and all others that assist those of us that don't 'get it 'when trying to work with our computers.....it is appreciated.

Work has been a zoo today, so no time to play around with the old device but when I have time I will....and will let you know when I have succeeded with my project!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@dooBdoo...thank you..and all others that assist those of us that don't 'get it 'when trying to work with our computers.....it is appreciated.

Work has been a zoo today, so no time to play around with the old device but when I have time I will....and will let you know when I have succeeded with my project!

If it helps, we have had other posters with similar problems, did perform a reset and were surprised how easy it was.  They also reported back their devices worked like new.