Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about streaming music in a car...

@fthunt wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.

I understand new cars no long provide CD's

@Ainhisg Sorry I can't help you - I know nothing about streaming.  Somebody on

here will help you, I'm sure.

@fthunt    Cars have never provided CD's.  Why did You bother to reply as you too didn't answer the question?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@author wrote:

I have a new Buick and alas, no cd player anymore.  However I do have SiriusXM and am thinking about going the route of my own music instead. 

I have a port for a USB memory stick in the center compartment, so I loaded one up with my music, good for in the car, and put it in, found it on the screen/menu, scrolled through all the options on it, selected the cd I wanted to hear, and it worked GREAT.  It's not streaming, but playing your cd's you have downloaded to a thumb drive. HTH.

And yes, your dealer can help you figure it out!

I have a new GM car and requested a CD player as an extra.  It is in my glove compartment.

Respected Contributor

@

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Kachina624 how does this answer any of my questions?  lol  Why did you even take the time to respond?  SMH

@Ainhisg   It's a beautiful April day and I just needed a snarky remark to make it perfect.  Thanks for contributing to my happiness. 

@Kachina624  MY reply was snarky?  Did you read what you originally wrote?  Three people hearted my response, so they perceived it the way that I did.  And, really, why did you respond?  You didn't answer any of my questions, and you touted the benefits of having a CD player, which most new cars don't even have. Plus you've continued with your comments about how people had better not respond unless they're answering my questions.  I think most readers of this thread will be able to determine who is snarky and who is not.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg

Most new cars will come with a streaming service. Please check the website of the car manufacturer for any promotions. Since some may have a time limit.

The tech in your car will not work with the version of IOS in your iPod. A new iPod Touch. 

Many folks stream music with a smartphone. All you need is a new phone with a decent data plan with maybe 5-10GB of data per month. 

Samsung has released a few new phones the A42. A52, A72. You will need a good prepaid data plan like Verizon. 

You should be able to buy a data plan for your car. 

You have a number of great options

Enjoy your new vehicle. 

I have SiriusXM in my car and I stream music on a phone or a tablet at home. 

I stopped buying CD about four years ago. Most newreleases come to market as tracks. I play music from some established Jazz and R&B artists. There are not any albums. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the response, @Nuttmeg !

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  Read the War & Peace user manual that came w/your car.  And if you do not understand the instructions, take your car back to the dealership & have the show & tell you how........

Take "detailed" notes.

My car came w/Apple Play, FREE SiriusXM, bluetooth, USB plus a CD player, etc. My car also "talks" to me & will provide instructions if needed.  I had my car custom made & added stuff that I wanted.  Yet, I still had to go back to the dealership to show me how to do certain things cause the War & Peace size book user manual made no sense.  Yes, I took detailed notes.  I needed to cause the front of my car looks like an airplane control panel.  And, I consider myself pretty tech savy.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone.  Yes, it has Android Auto and Apple Carplay, but I was looking for alternatives to using data.  And I figured it out this afternoon, so all is good!  Downloaded the YouTube Music App, bought a 16gb micro SD card (will hold 4000 songs), downloaded songs through the app to the card, selected audio on my infotainment screen, bluetoothed my phone to the car, selected my phone, and that was all I needed to do.  Hope this helps someone else!

Honored Contributor

@AinhisgThanks for the update.  Glad you figured it out.

I forgot to respond to this........

"I have (don't faint from shock) been using an iPod without issue in all my vehicles, UNTIL now. I just traded my 2019 Explorer for a 2021 Chevy Blazer, and my old iPod is not recognized by it."

If you have USB port(s) in your car, you should be able to use your iPod.  If I were you, I would ask your dealership why your iPod is not recgonized?  Which model do you have?

I have the 5th Gen iPod w/video which is approximately 12 yrs old.  Purchased when it first came out.  It stays in my car connected via USB ( until I disconnect to update the music).  Is your model older?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac ,my iPod worked in my 2019 car but won't in the 2021 car. A Facebook group to which I belong said my new car doesn't recognize an operating system as old as my iPod.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac , I have a fourth gen iPod touch that recently no longer supports Spotify.  I guess this is Apple's way to push you toward Apple Music.  My brother keeps telling me to get Apple Music and I have cards I can use but too lazy to set it up...all those playlists.  Maybe this winter.  S

PS I bought the first iPod Apple produced.  It cost $750 with the case, the charging station, the high speed transfer cables etc and it weighed a ton but it was so much smaller than those portable CD players😊.