Respected Contributor

Questions about streaming music in a car...

[ Edited ]

ETA:  I figured out exactly how to do it and thank everyone who tried to help!  Smiley Happy

I am throwing myself at your mercy, as I feel pretty embarrassed to be asking this.  And, yes...I have watched YouTube videos and read articles, but I'm still not getting a clear picture of what I need to purchase and how to do it.

Background:  I am reasonably tech savvy, but circumstances have allowed one area of tech to bypass me.  I am retired and don't drive a lot, but like everyone, occasionally, I want to listen to something besides the radio.  I have (don't faint from shock) been using an iPod without issue in all my vehicles, UNTIL now.  I just traded my 2019 Explorer for a 2021 Chevy Blazer, and my old iPod is not recognized by it.  

Questions:

1)  I have a Tracfone and would prefer not to use data to stream directly from it.  If I understand what I've read, I should be able to use a streaming service (am considering YouTube Music as we have Google Home devices) to download music to a micro SD card.  And if that's correct, then I could stream to the car from the SD Card using bluetooth without needing my data to directly access YouTube Music, correct?    

2)  What brand and size of micro SD card do you suggest? I will not have a lot of songs. And does SD or SDHC make a difference?

3)  How do you access the phone music files from the car?  My phone is already connected by bluetooth to the car.  Do I go to the audio portion on my infotainment screen, click on my phone in that screen, and then???  Or what?

Thanks for any advice and help you can give me.  My husband and I don't have kids or nephews and nieces nearby who, of course, would know how to do all this.  lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about streaming music in a car...

Geez, my faithful old CDs are so much easier.  I don't need to pay for a "service" either. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 how does this answer any of my questions?  lol  Why did you even take the time to respond?  SMH

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624     On today's "local news" this morning........I-17 and I-19 BOTH worst in the country for accidents.    I don't even play my RADIO any more.......

(Oh yeah.....add to that, we are 5th worst for SMOG).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I was wondering the same thing.

I understand new cars no long provide CD's

@Ainhisg Sorry I can't help you - I know nothing about streaming.  Somebody on

here will help you, I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

No CD player in my car. 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg 

While I hate the screens available on our new Sienna van, I realize others may like them.

As for your new car, why not call the dealership and ask for help with the techie part.  I remember when we got our van, they went through a lot of stuff with Blue and syncing.  They are more knowledgeable about the cars they sell and service.  You would not be the first person who needed help !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I have a new Buick and alas, no cd player anymore.  However I do have SiriusXM and am thinking about going the route of my own music instead. 

I have a port for a USB memory stick in the center compartment, so I loaded one up with my music, good for in the car, and put it in, found it on the screen/menu, scrolled through all the options on it, selected the cd I wanted to hear, and it worked GREAT.  It's not streaming, but playing your cd's you have downloaded to a thumb drive. HTH.

And yes, your dealer can help you figure it out!

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Kachina624 how does this answer any of my questions?  lol  Why did you even take the time to respond?  SMH

@Ainhisg   It's a beautiful April day and I just needed a snarky remark to make it perfect.  Thanks for contributing to my happiness. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
QVC Customer Care