Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I'm looking to replace my old Windows 7 laptop with a chromebook, but I have a few questions about them first.

I currently use my laptop connected to a fan to help keep it cool. Do I need to worry about chromebooks getting hot as well? If not, does that mean I can put it on my lap to use (I never do that with my laptop)? Also would like to know if, even though you're not supposed to be worried about exposure to malware, etc. from what I've read, would you still advise installing some kind of anti-virus software? Finally, are there any brands you would suggest staying away from? Thanks for any help with this.

Respected Contributor

Re: Questions about chromebooks

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

I'm looking to replace my old Windows 7 laptop with a chromebook, but I have a few questions about them first.

I currently use my laptop connected to a fan to help keep it cool. Do I need to worry about chromebooks getting hot as well? If not, does that mean I can put it on my lap to use (I never do that with my laptop)? Also would like to know if, even though you're not supposed to be worried about exposure to malware, etc. from what I've read, would you still advise installing some kind of anti-virus software? Finally, are there any brands you would suggest staying away from? Thanks for any help with this.

@qualityshopper  I have the Google Chromebook and ‘I love it.   I use it on my lap all the time and it never gets hot.   You don’t need an antivirus on it at all.  That’s why I didn’t purchase another laptop.   I won’t go back to a laptop ever again after owning the Google Chromebook.   I give it 10 stars.   

Respected Contributor

i am very happy with my chromebook.  i use a little lapdesk under it when it's on my lap.   i use the lapdesk because it provides better stability and is more comfortable from an ergonomic standpoint.  have not installed any anti-virus software and this is my second chromebook.  good luck! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too am considering a Chromebook for my next laptop.  My Windows updates will stop next year.

Make sure you research something called "end of life" when it comes to the Chromebooks.  There is much info on this via Google.   It is not based on when you purchase but when the CB was manufactured. 

@qualityshopper 

I found this...https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Trusted Contributor

I switched from a Lenova laptop to an Acer Chromebook 15....absolutely love it !!!!!!  Come to think of it, I've never heard a fan running on my chromebook.  I'd buy it again.

Trusted Contributor

I have the HP Chromebook - it never gets hot and I do not need anti virus protection for it.  There is so much about it that is great, but mine may be a lemon.  It sometimes freezes, or shuts down for no known reason, it emits a loud horrific screeching sound that requires you to reboot and the touch pad often stops working.  For these reasons I do not think I would buy it again.  It also has quirks & idiosyncrasies that need getting used to at the beginning...just little things, but breaks from what you have know to be standard and have become intuitive - for example...there is no delete key (there are other little things like that to adjust to).

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

i have an hp chrome notebook and i love it.. mines about 4 yrs old almost 5 and i'm definetely going to get another one soon.. i use it on my lap most of the time and it doesnt get hot... sometimes i'm on mine for hrs and its fine... no you dont need added security.. when i got this one i didnt get why??  the salesman told me i didnt.. when it came in (they had to order it)  i asked the other guy that works there and he said no also... i shop all the time on this and never had any issues,,  i only use my computer for shopping, facebook, email and its perfect for that... and so easy to set up.... 

Honored Contributor

Okay, maybe I'm the odd man out, I have a Samsung Pro Chromebook I paid $500 for, I have had it for 2 years and have had it repaired 3 times ( it will freeze, they don't fix it properly it keeps happening). Also I have a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps, you can't update your maps using a chromebook. I will not buy a chromebook again.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

Chromebooks were invented by google and so they control everything about them. Here is a link to google's page about Chromebooks. It will answer many question which you might have.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3265094?hl=en

Then after you visit that page, you might find the following link helpful about which model to choose. Be aware that most all Chromebooks come with an expiration date of around 5 years. What that means is when the 5 year expiration date comes around, google will not be updating your CB. The expiration date depends on the model. It's important to note also that when it comes to buying cheaper CBs, that usually means the cheaper ones have a shorter outdate. In other words, you get what you pay for. 

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Another thing you might take note of is that some newer CBs have android app capability. That means it is a hybrid which can operate with both traditional web browsing or it can be switched to using the andoid os. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and info! Looks like there's both good and bad points, but that's the way it is with everything pretty much. I'm not sure I like the "end of life" feature, but guess that isn't so bad either. I mean, after all, tech gets old fast anyway--just have to be careful about checking the date it was manufactured when I buy one. I never knew about that until hearing it from you--thanks! Also didn't know there isn't a delete key. Have to admit, that will be hard to get used to. I was actually debating between a tablet and a chromebook, but think I'll like the CB better. Again, thanks everyone!!!