Super Contributor

Question on Connecting DVD player to Surface Pro

Hi.  Recently bought MS Surface Pro 7 after MAC died. Technician at store said we could hook up our auxiliary Apple DVD player, to the Surface and it would play DVDs. I plugged it into USB port and nothing happened , and disc won't insert all the way like it isnt getting any power. Anyone know if this is doable? We are used to Apple products and hard to figure anything out with MS. Thank you for any help. Susi.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question on Connecting DVD player to Surface Pro

[ Edited ]

@Susic

I checked Microsoft's store online. I read, you get an  in-store hardware warranty for a year. 

You do get 90 days of phone support. Please call the company for help. 

Super Contributor

Thanks Nutmeg. I googled possible fix, way too complicated . Tried everything. May go back to store and get another player and speak with tech there. I really prefer Apple, and so hard to figure out MS again. 

Honored Contributor

You're likely running into two issues. First you need suitable software on the computer to play DVD's as Microsoft excluded it in Windows 10. Then you'll need the right driver for the DVD player. As to the software, there are multiple free options that you can find along with Microsoft's $15 version from their store. I'd probably opt for one of the better known, better reviewed free options. As to the driver, you can find detailed directions on finding and installing that by doing a search. It's not especially easy, but it is doable. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Thank you Gardenman, you have helped me in past lol! I did find a free one in Google store and partially downloaded it, then got scared when it wanted access to computer so canceled it til I could investigate it further. I am spoiled by using  Apple , and hard for me to switch gears to all the MS ways again. The tech at store said all we had to do was plug in DVD player and it would work. What exactly is name of app I am looking for, is it just called external dvd adaptor in search bar? Thanks, Susi.

Honored Contributor

Here's a link from the Apple support forums that may help.

super drive on win 10

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Susic

I brought a Dell external DVD drive to use with a laptop. This drive comes with software to view your DVD's.

You can find this drive on Amazon for $38. Best Buy has this drive for the the same price online. 

When you plug the drive in your computer, Windows will install the driver for this new device. 

If you go to Best Buy, please do not allow them to sell you any extra software. 

Super Contributor

Thanks again Gardenman, that looks like it should work, if I can follow all the steps in the first response. Windows doesn't always cooperate for me.! Will try it tomorrow when I concentrate better. Looks complicated. 

Super Contributor

Thank you Nutmeg. I really don't want to spend much more on this, as it is becoming as expensive as the Apple it replaced. Will try a few of the free options if the above link doesn't work. Susi.