Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Chromebook owners.

@Jordan2 wrote:

Well I didn't know this either. Do you get an alert about your coming up to the end of life for your Chromebook, it's possible you might not remember when you purchased the chromebook?

So far I did not get any alerts on my old ASUS which came out in 2016, I brought it from Amazon about a year and half ago on a black Friday run. I know I have time but, I look for alerts anyway and so far nothing. Again I say this makes no sense at all. None at all.Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I didn't know about this either, however and you can choose to disagree with me, getting 5 years from a laptop is a pretty good run for any laptop, tablet or PC. 

So I would consider good value for money

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

I didn't know about this either, however and you can choose to disagree with me, getting 5 years from a laptop is a pretty good run for any laptop, tablet or PC. 

So I would consider good value for money

ITA @jackthebear 

The 5-year, or so, EOL is plenty long for any piece of technology to last...as long as you purchase a brand new Chromebook. Otherwise you get a refurb or used one cheaper with less time left on it which, in this case, you get what you pay for. It's sort of like when someone has left a metered-parking space vacant, with time left on the meter, for someone else to pull in. Or when someone at a laundry mat pulls their stuff out of the dryer before it shuts off then someone comes along and uses what time is left...same kind of thing happened with my Chromebook because I bought it when it was a couple of years old already and it was cheap!

Honored Contributor

Not chrome book related, just a story to tell. I was in Best Buy today shopping for ink for my printer. I have an HP Envy 5530 which takes 61 ink cartridges. I always buy the combo pack, black and tri color ink. They had every number ink except 61. I asked for help, he said if they had it would be out. I asked him if HP is doing away with this number, is my printer too old? He tells me a printer has a shelf life of two years, WTH, I have this printer five years or more, it works well. BB isn’t the only place to buy ink, I can go to Staples, Target, or Amazon. I really hate BB for a lot of reasons, I don’t know why I bother with them.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Not chrome book related, just a story to tell. I was in Best Buy today shopping for ink for my printer. I have an HP Envy 5530 which takes 61 ink cartridges. I always buy the combo pack, black and tri color ink. They had every number ink except 61. I asked for help, he said if they had it would be out. I asked him if HP is doing away with this number, is my printer too old? He tells me a printer has a shelf life of two years, WTH, I have this printer five years or more, it works well. BB isn’t the only place to buy ink, I can go to Staples, Target, or Amazon. I really hate BB for a lot of reasons, I don’t know why I bother with them.

Oh no! My printer uses 61,too. Hope I don't have to buy another printer!Smiley Tongue

More stuff to add to the landfills...madness.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Oh no! My printer uses 61,too. Hope I don't have to buy another printer!Smiley Tongue

More stuff to add to the landfills...madness.

Electronics should NEVER go into the landfills.  Find a recycle event or center near you and dispose of them properly.  This is especially true for those of you who get a new phone every year. 

Esteemed Contributor

Please look for ink at Amazon or Staples online. Walmart may have ink.

HP may discontinue a printer, but they keep making ink. Ink is big business, and large profits for the company. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

Electronics should NEVER go into the landfills.  Find a recycle event or center near you and dispose of them properly.  This is especially true for those of you who get a new phone every year. 

I know that, but many people still do it.  There is a fee charged for recycling electronics and people don't want to pay it...and to drive to the place to have it recycled, which can be far away.

Trusted Contributor

wow  this is all new to me... it says on the page that mine expires oct of this yr.... i do plan on getting a new notebook soon.... but im waiting till i really have to. mines a little over 4 yrs old... im definetely getting another chrome notebook.. i love it! if this one lasts me 5 yrs i'll be happy.. i use it alot.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

I know that, but many people still do it.  There is a fee charged for recycling electronics and people don't want to pay it...and to drive to the place to have it recycled, which can be far away.

There is no excuse.