Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Question for Chromebook owners.

[ Edited ]

My question is about the 'end of life' policy. So when my chromebook gets to be 5-yo then the Chrome OS no longer will update...that part I understand. Question is:   since the OS won't update when it gets 5 yo, does that mean my chromebook becomes vulnerable to cyber attacks or hacks if I continue to use it? ...or does the chromebook become un-usable when it gets that old?

ETA- It's 6.5 years, not 5 for updates to end...and this is not consistent from brand to brand as well as models. It's confusing to say the least.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Chromebook owners.

I'm not a Chromebook user, but I just did a quick "Google".  Lots of good information about what happens after the "end of life" date.  (In case no one answers your post.)

Contributor

There is an article related to this on a website called PC World.  If you Google "Chromebook support" it will bring up Google Support and also other sites to get info from.

I tried to copy and paste it here but it wont paste.  Hope you find some help.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My question is about the 'end of life' policy. So when my chromebook gets to be 5-yo then the Chrome OS no longer will update...that part I understand. Question is:   since the OS won't update when it gets 5 yo, does that mean my chromebook becomes vulnerable to cyber attacks or hacks if I continue to use it? ...or does the chromebook become un-usable when it gets that old?

I have a Chromebook...does that mean its no longer usable after 5 years????

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emmysmom ,

Your Chromebook will receive updates for 6.5 years from the date it was brought to market.  After 6.5 years then updates will be stopped and your device will no longer be secure and some things might not work right on it because of outdated software. 

ETA - See the end dates for your device here (goes by brand and model number):

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thank you for this post didn't know Chromebooks had an end of life policy. Mine is good up until 2023. But my All in one 23 inch Hp Windows 7 is another thing. No more updates from Microsoft starting Jan 14, 2020. Which is a bummer because it still looks brand new. Should have updated it to Windows 10 when it was free. But the start screen was to confusing Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I'm bummed...my Chromebook will end it's life in less than one year.Smiley Sad I bought the thing 'used' and at the time I did not know about google's EOL policy for Chromebooks. @cactusgal 

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee  That is why I am so very grateful for this information. Now I can pass it along to my older sister who was thinking of buying one. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Well I didn't know this either. Do you get an alert about your coming up to the end of life for your Chromebook, it's possible you might not remember when you purchased the chromebook?