Valued Contributor

Question about wifi setting on Tracfone

Hate to ask this because I probably should be able to figure this out for myself, but here goes. My existing Tracfone, for some reason, constantly has the Wifi on when I turn the phone on. I always turn my wifi off when I turn the phone off, but recently I am finding it turning on by itself every time I turn the phone back on. I've even had it turn back on, after I've turned if off, while the phone is still in use. I'm sure there has to be a setting to keep it from turning on automatically, but I'm having trouble finding it. Would anyone be able to tell dummy here how to locate the setting I need to remedy this? Thanks so much!

Valued Contributor

Re: Question about wifi setting on Tracfone

@qualityshopperFellow dummy here! Mine does that as well. Annoying--I thought it was just me. 

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper   "I always turn my wifi off when I turn the phone off, "

By doing the following?

From Tracfone FAQ

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at Sat, Aug 22, 2020-8.46.32 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper   i have been a tracfone user for years.  i just tried it on mine, and the wifi stayed off.  

if you have wifi in your home, why are you turning it off on your phone? it isn't burning data, or time or anything. just wondering why this bugs you.  

as soon as i leave the house, it automatically turns itself off, as i don't have a connection outside of the home. 

if i have to use my phone for something other than texting or something, i just turn on my mobile data.  HTH

Valued Contributor

@qualityshopper 

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown phone. I'm wondering how you turn off the wifi before you turn off your phone. I turn mine off only when I have trouble with internet access, which is rare. I do so through the Settings Icon ----> Connections. When I do turn it off, it stays off until I go back and reverse it.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac --Yes, I know how to turn it on and off as I indicated in my posting. My issue is that it does not stay off when I set it to "off." It turns itself on automatically even after I've just turned it off. It never used to do this, which is why I am wondering, first, why it's now doing it, and second, how to make it stop. 

@kittyloo  and @Xivambala --I know I could just leave the wifi on, but I prefer to choose when to have it on. I don't use my cell phone like most people, In fact, I rarely even have it turned on. It truly is more for emergency usage. The whole point of my posting was simply to see if there was a fix to keep the phone from automatically turning the wifi on. It should not be doing this as you should both know since both of you mentioned that your wifi stays off when you set it to do so. Mine does not.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a shortcut to turn off Wi-Fi. When I pull down the navigation bar from the top the screen, I see an airplane icon. This icon is the fastest method to turn off Wi-Fi.

You should be able to find an unboxing and YouTube videos to help set up your phone.

I keep my phone connected to my home Wi-Fi. 

I  have two favorite apps, Speedtest and SwiftKey. 

Valued Contributor

@Nuttmeg --I've done this, too. But, whether I turn wifi off this way or by going to settings and sliding to "off," it turns itself back on. Something isn't right with this phone.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper   Have you tried resetting/restarting your phone?

Have you  checked your settings for software updates?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper ,

You probably have given some feature or app permission to connect to WiFi whenever it's detected within range.

Or

The phone came set that way, and you haven't gone thru and shut off all those pre-set options.

For example, if you allow it to automatically update whenever an update is available, or if you use location services, it has to connect to WiFi.

Since apps can turn on other apps, and this is a recent change in your phone, I'd guess it's a recent permission or a newly started app.