Honored Contributor

Re: Question about using over-the-air antenna on old analog TV

@qualityshopper

You might want to check local thrift stores for a converter along with craigslist and ebay. Millions were sold/distributed when the transition to digital was made, but relatively few are in use these days. Most are either sitting in a closet somewhere, or junked. You should be able to find one very inexpensively through one of those sources. New ones retail from around $20 and up. Some of the newer ones include the capability to use them as a DVR if you connect a portable hard drive to them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@ceekay -- Thanks for confirming the need for the converter box and the website info. We are close enough to the local stations so that we don't have any trouble receiving them with an antenna (I tried it once on our other TVs that are digital).

@GingerPeach--I actually went to those websites to check out potential stations when I previously tried out an antenna. They were very handy to go to. We actually got more stations than they had listed.

Valued Contributor

@gardenman--Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out Walmart and Amazon, but I'm sure I could get one cheaper at the places you listed.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper

I don’t have any suggestions for your regarding your sister’s television situation.  I just wanted to say that I’m sorry to hear that you both lost your mother.  I also hope that your medical situation has a good outcome. 

💔🙏

Contributor

So sorry you lost your Mom last week!

However, usually you are NOT responsible for her medical bills. I work at a bank where we receive payments for patients' medical procedures from all over the USA. When someone passes away, YOU are not responsible for that person's bills. If you or your sister DO receive a bill for your mother, you send the invoice back with a copy of the death certificate and you would not be liable for it. 

Respected Contributor

@theBabe wrote:

So sorry you lost your Mom last week!

However, usually you are NOT responsible for her medical bills. I work at a bank where we receive payments for patients' medical procedures from all over the USA. When someone passes away, YOU are not responsible for that person's bills. If you or your sister DO receive a bill for your mother, you send the invoice back with a copy of the death certificate and you would not be liable for it. 

The estate will be responsible. The estate will also re responsible for all outstanding debts.   

Contributor

Not if the estate is very small or almost non-existent.

Respected Contributor

@theBabe wrote:

Not if the estate is very small or almost non-existent.

Are you a lawyer? I was executor for both of my parents when they died.  Part of my duties was to pay off any outstanding debt before any money was distributed to their heirs.  If there is no money, the creditors are SOL.    

Contributor

I'm not going to argue with you.  I've been an executor also so I know....I remember you from my older screen name a few years back and you're just as argumentive now as you were then.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@theBabe wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you.  I've been an executor also so I know....I remember you from my older screen name a few years back and you're just as argumentive now as you were then.

Good.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/debts-after-death-life-insurance/