Valued Contributor

Question about using over-the-air antenna on old analog TV

My sister has a very old analog TV that doesn't have any connections except "antenna in." I currently have it hooked up to cable by using an RF modulator. The cable from the wall goes into the cable box, the box is connected to the modulator with RCA cables, and then the modulator is connected to the TV using coax. She really doesn't need or have any interest in the cable stations. Local channels that you can get by using an over-the-air antenna would be fine for her. I already know that we are able to get quite a few channels this way and with great clarity. So, I would like to get rid of the cable and just use the antenna, but I'm not sure if she would be able to get the channels without some device in between, like the RF modulator. Would any of you know if I can just connect the antenna directly to her TV and receive channels, or would I need to use the modulator, or some other device? Thanks for any help with this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about using over-the-air antenna on old analog TV

Remember 10-12 years ago when they discontinued the analog signal and went to digital?  For several months they gave away converters at all the electronic stores.  After the giveaways ended, they said you could buy one for about $40.  I assumed you could get no TV without this device.  You could also buy a flat screen HD TV.  I got a really nice Samsung smart 24" at Walmart, for my bedroom for $138., not on sale so you could probably do better.  It's fine for a smaller space with a fantastic picture.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

My sister has a very old analog TV that doesn't have any connections except "antenna in." I currently have it hooked up to cable by using an RF modulator. The cable from the wall goes into the cable box, the box is connected to the modulator with RCA cables, and then the modulator is connected to the TV using coax. She really doesn't need or have any interest in the cable stations. Local channels that you can get by using an over-the-air antenna would be fine for her. I already know that we are able to get quite a few channels this way and with great clarity. So, I would like to get rid of the cable and just use the antenna, but I'm not sure if she would be able to get the channels without some device in between, like the RF modulator. Would any of you know if I can just connect the antenna directly to her TV and receive channels, or would I need to use the modulator, or some other device? Thanks for any help with this.

It would be cheaper and better to buy a new TV.  Converters aren't cheap plus a new TV could take advantage of the High Definition over the air broadcasts.   Another plus, new LED TVs use less energy, run cooler and have a much better picture.  I never recommend people put money into something old and outdated. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@qualityshopper wrote:

It would be cheaper and better to buy a new TV.  Converters aren't cheap plus a new TV could take advantage of the High Definition over the air broadcasts.   Another plus, new LED TVs use less energy, run cooler and have a much better picture.  I never recommend people put money into something old and outdated. 

I would agree. A digital converter costs around $20+ these days, but you can buy a 32" flatscreen HDTV for around $100 (or less) that doesn't need one and is far lighter (the last one I bought weighs 9.5 pounds), uses less power, has a vastly better picture and is more reliable. If you absolutely can't spend the $100 on a new TV then a digital converter will be needed, but a new HDTV is the better investment.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper

If your sister is strapped for money, I agree with others here. Have her save enough to buy a new tv set, and maybe help her out with a small cash birthday present. To me it is a waste of money to spend money on an old tv to get free over the air content. The tv itself might just quit working, then what?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@qualityshopper - as the queen of digital converter boxes and old TVs I will tell you I get better and more reliable reception on my vintage RCA 13 inch analog TV with a converter box and its self contained rabbit ears than I do on the other TV that is digital and I have attached to an external  antenna (I have tried multiple types of antennas).  I think it is because of the built in tuner on the analog TV and its quality.  In the major metropolitan area where I live I get 30 to 40 channels (including all the sub channels) reliably on the analog TV but the digital TV the reception is flaky depending on the weather.  For example, it was windy yesterday and the channels were not receiving as well as on clear days.  We have a 2nd home in which we have 2 newer digital TVs with  external antennas.  However we are about 40 miles north of the city where the major TV stations are and we do not get very many channels because of that.  We do have internet and can stream via Roku and FireStick and also just from the stations themself after the fact (so not live TV but watch shows after they have aired) - we just connect the laptop via an HDMI cable.  Guess maybe that would not be needed with a smart TV.   

So, my suggestion is to find out how close you are to the local TV stations and go from there.  You may have problems depending on your proximity to the broadcasting stations.  

Honored Contributor

I had a similar (but more complicated) set up on my old tv. I had a DVR connected in there somewhere.  

Good times!

I found a really nice Westinghouse TV onlline at Walmart on Black Friday 3-4 years ago.  It was $99.  Still going strong.  I think its 42", maybe 46"

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone for replying, but all I really was trying to find out was if she would need a converter to receive the channels and whether an RF modulator is the same thing as a digital to analog converter. I don't think it is, but just wanted to verify. I realize I didn't really make it clear what I wanted to know.

I know it would probably be better to just get a new TV, but money is really tight right now. She actually watches very little television, so paying out for a converter would be the best way to go right now. The local channels are all she needs. We just lost our Mom last week, so there will be a lot of medical bills for her, plus I have cancer, so I also have a huge amount of bills. She is mentally impaired, so the antenna option is best for her at this time. She never has any of the cable stations on, so that's why I'm looking to go this route. Really need to save some money.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper For an analog TV, you DO need a converter box.  And a good antenna.  Just be aware that if you are far away distance-wise from your local stations, you may not have much luck getting any channels to come in.  Good luck with your endeavor - it is a very nice thing for you to research.  

My TV is so old the antenna has the metal things that you attach it with.  I had to use a little doohickey to attach the antenna to the converter box.  So, depending on the age of her TV and its connections you may need to be a little creative.  Sorry I don't know the technical terms, I just fiddle and google usually until I figure things out (plus I have a box of odds and ends).  I also have a VCR (yes, VCR) attached to the TV with the converter box.

Maybe this will help you figure out if you have all the right pieces.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/digital-analog-converter-box-setup-viewing-analog-and-digital-b...  

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper

Depending on what antenna you are looking at, often they will have a website into which you can plug either your zip code or sometimes the home address, and it will tell you which stations the antenna can actually pick up.

I tried it myself but found that being behind a range of hills blocked a lot of local reception for me.  So I couldn't do without cable.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.