Respected Contributor

Question about Database Daemon on Mac Entourage

I get my mail on my Mac through Entourage. Now, when the emails download, they disappear and a rectangle comes up saying that "A Database Daemon" exists. The emails go off somewhere into the great unknown. They cannot be reached through Mail or through Entourage. Eleven disappeared this morning. They are not on my iPhone or my iPad. And they cannot be reached through "Mail".

Has anyone else had this issue with either Entourage or a Mac? I can't find anyone who can help - tried ATT Uverse, Apple, Microsoft. Where else can I go and any suggestions on what to do. This happened once before and somehow we got it corrected. PLEASE HELP!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Database Daemon on Mac Entourage

What's Entourage? Have you called them?

Super Contributor

Its a Microsoft Office thing. You will have to use Activity Monitor to stop the processes. There are a ton a posts about it in the Apple Forums. Do a google search for ""Database Daemon"" and you will see posts that offer steps on how to resolve.

Respected Contributor

It's a Microsoft product. No help there so far. Someone said he would check into it and get back to me, but that was three days ago.

I keep hoping someone here will have this happen and understand. No explanation anywhere yet.

Valued Contributor

Respected Contributor

Thank you, masque. This is the first really helpful thing I've found. I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world with this problem, but there is so real help at this website. I am going to try it this afternoon. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Until you get this resolve can you go onto your providers website or directly to whatever mail service you use and get you emails. I do not use mail on my mac but go directly to the website or yahoo. I do use mail om my ipad. I avoid some of the risk of email viruses/malware by doing this...good luck hope you get this resolved!
Super Contributor

I did a search and on Apple forum the instruction from one person was to hold down the Option key when starting Entourage. It rebuilds the database...seems easy.
Valued Contributor

On 8/10/2014 Perkup said:

Thank you, masque. This is the first really helpful thing I've found. I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world with this problem, but there is so real help at this website. I am going to try it this afternoon. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

You're welcome, Perkup . Please let us know if you get it corrected.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Yes, it seems to be corrected, thank goodness. It was driving me nuts. However, when I was talking with someone at Microsoft, he advised me that the no longer support Entourage. It seems it's an older program and they're "giving up" on it. Such a shame - a good program IMHO.

I'd like to think he was wrong, but later someone at ATT confirmed that information to me.

Again, thanks for all the help. You saved my sanity!!