Honored Contributor

Question, MacBook Air, might be a stupid idea but I'll ask

I have a MacBook Air OS 10.11.6......what I want to do is to be able to surf the web when travelling and I mean while I am in the car.  I know that I can stop at many locations and use their free wifi but if I want to get online when travelling as a pasenger is  there something I can purchase that will allow that to happen?

I have a very basic flip phone, so using my phone is not an option.

Any suggestions or am I just dreaming?  Thank you

Super Contributor

Re: Question, MacBook Air, might be a stupid idea but I'll ask

@Mom2Dogs

A smartphone.. or any brand of phone that allows you to get on the web, most new phones do these days.

Honored Contributor

@terriebear  thanks, but I don't want to purchase a smart phone...we rarely use the cell phones we have, I would like to utilize my MacBook Air.

Honored Contributor

There are a variety of ways to do it. If you had an iphone ( not sure what other phones do this) you could use personal hotspot to create a wifi network using your cellular data plan. I've done that before. 

Alternatively you can buy a mobile hotspot device. I haven't looked at them recently, so I can't tell you which ones are the best now. 

You could get an aircard, they apparently still make those. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

You might find this link helpful.  You can also subscribe to Onstar.  Newer cars have an adapter that you can plug your laptop in to to get a wi-fi connection.  I am assuming you do not have this.  You can buy a device that will give you a wi-fi connection and have it installed, or phone companies have them that you can rent monthly.  

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/4-ways-to-turn-a-car-into-a-wi-fi-hot-spot/

Honored Contributor

@terriebear, thank you!

Honored Contributor

These are the things I'd think about when deciding. 

Are you ever going to need to connect more than one device to a wifi network when out and about? Or is the laptop the only thing you care about? Do you only want wifi in the car? 

Personally I'd go for a mobile hotspot device over a car based one that is built in. It's much more convenient. It's not tied to one specific car. They're small and portable, you can use it anywhere not just the car. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom....do I go to a store like Verizon to purchase a mobile hot spot device?   Thank you

Respected Contributor

you can get a portible mifi threw your cell phone carrier  as a personal hotspot and depending on your phone you can use it as a moble hotspot. you usualy have to buy an addon to your cell plan

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@jaxs mom....do I go to a store like Verizon to purchase a mobile hot spot device?   Thank you

you can just go online  at verizonwireless.com