Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problem with HP laptop purchased at QVC- how to get microsoft product key?

@depglass wrote:

Apple1964 is right.  I bought a Dell from QVC and it took four hours for the first update from Microsoft. I still had all kinds of problems so I called Dell.  After 6 sessions with their people, averaging 45 minutes apiece, they talked me into a $169.00 reinstall of complete new "guts."  The guy worked terrifically fast and I watched him dump and replace every program on here.  I'll keep this until it dies but no more Dells for me.  Next one will an Apple, I don't care how much it costs. This is my third Dell and I quickly dumped the one HP I squeezed in there somewhere.  The keyboard drove me nuts.

After you were having problems they still tried  to get you to pay more money? ... what they should have done was give you a full refund. I have brought Chromebooks and love them. More battery time, virus protection built in and no more dreaded microsoft updates. I agree with you  I will never go back to a windows device ever. Have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rissajaneen  I have the same problem, but I did not realize that it had to do with the update.  

Under the dialog box that asks for your password, look for signing in another way.  Click on that and then add your Microsoft password.   You need to switch to the button on the right, which looks like a battery symbol.

Please post when you get any info.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

You brought it from QVC..Oh brother! I would try to do a factory reset and even then I would not hold my breathe that would work. I do not understand why anyone would order any device from QVC? They sell older computer devices and charge  you more for them. Good luck to you O/P. 

Just a quick note about "older computer devices." When I build a computer I never use the newest, most state-of-the-art stuff as most of the time you're the beta tester for it. I prefer tech that's at least six months to a year old. Once something's been on the market for six months or longer, it typically has been shaken down and any huge flaws fixed.

A motherboard manufacturer recently released their newest motherboards and assumed they'd work with the newer processors. Yeah, not so much. It turns out you have to flash the BIOS of the new motherboard to make it work with the processors, but you need a processor on the board to flash the BIOS and the new processors won't work for flashing the BIOS. Oops! They ended up having to "loan" people a processor so they could flash the BIOS to be able to use the motherboard they'd bought. The loanee would then have to return the borrowed processor or be charged for it.

Older technology isn't always a bad thing in the computing world. By the time six months have passed, there are typically good drivers, patches for glaring issues, and a pretty solid product. If you buy something on day one of its release, well God help you. You're more likely to have big problems than be successful. Give the tech six months to a year to get the bugs out and you're generally much farther ahead.

We'll be seeing new CPU's and GPU's coming out between now and the start of the school year. I would wait a good length of time to invest in either. If you're a day one buyer, you will likely run into all kinds of issues that a buyer six months later won't have to deal with. Older computing tech is usually the smarter buy than the cutting edge stuff.

If you absolutely have to have the bragging rights, feel free to buy the hottest, newest tech, but it will likely drive you a bit nuts. Stuff that's been around for six months to a year is typically the safer buy. And prices drop pretty quickly on tech also. There's talk of some of the new GPU's retailing for over $2,000. In a year or two, those same GPU's can be bought for a quarter of that.

FYI... I do not have the best and the most expensive However I would not buy a device from any shopping channel. They sell older computers  with a ton of bloat ware I will never need of use.  So I have no "bragging rights". And if you read some older threads people have been complaining about QVC shipping and handling and the long wait time to get a computer device and when the laptop came it had problems. And your post to me had nothing to do with what I was trying to say. Maybe read it more carefully before you judge me.Woman Indifferent 

And vice versa. I was simply pointing out that "older" technology is often safer and more reliable. I was not judging you, simply pointing out that older technology isn't always worse. It wasn't intended as an insult to you, simply a statement on the reality of modern technology. Read my post again. It is simply an informative post echoing comments one will hear from many, if not most, who have built computers. I was simply pointing out that older technology in the six-month to the one-year-old range is often a better buy than the cutting edge stuff that's just come out. I am sorry if you took offense at it. It wasn't intended to be anything but informative. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

You brought it from QVC..Oh brother! I would try to do a factory reset and even then I would not hold my breathe that would work. I do not understand why anyone would order any device from QVC? They sell older computer devices and charge  you more for them. Good luck to you O/P. 

Just a quick note about "older computer devices." When I build a computer I never use the newest, most state-of-the-art stuff as most of the time you're the beta tester for it. I prefer tech that's at least six months to a year old. Once something's been on the market for six months or longer, it typically has been shaken down and any huge flaws fixed.

A motherboard manufacturer recently released their newest motherboards and assumed they'd work with the newer processors. Yeah, not so much. It turns out you have to flash the BIOS of the new motherboard to make it work with the processors, but you need a processor on the board to flash the BIOS and the new processors won't work for flashing the BIOS. Oops! They ended up having to "loan" people a processor so they could flash the BIOS to be able to use the motherboard they'd bought. The loanee would then have to return the borrowed processor or be charged for it.

Older technology isn't always a bad thing in the computing world. By the time six months have passed, there are typically good drivers, patches for glaring issues, and a pretty solid product. If you buy something on day one of its release, well God help you. You're more likely to have big problems than be successful. Give the tech six months to a year to get the bugs out and you're generally much farther ahead.

We'll be seeing new CPU's and GPU's coming out between now and the start of the school year. I would wait a good length of time to invest in either. If you're a day one buyer, you will likely run into all kinds of issues that a buyer six months later won't have to deal with. Older computing tech is usually the smarter buy than the cutting edge stuff.

If you absolutely have to have the bragging rights, feel free to buy the hottest, newest tech, but it will likely drive you a bit nuts. Stuff that's been around for six months to a year is typically the safer buy. And prices drop pretty quickly on tech also. There's talk of some of the new GPU's retailing for over $2,000. In a year or two, those same GPU's can be bought for a quarter of that.

I don't disagree that 'tried and true' is sometimes a reasonable option, but then QVC shouldn't charge 'state of the art' prices.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

What gets me is the advice always includes QVC adds junk and bloatware you'll never use or need.  How arrogant to think you know what people will use or need.  People are going to buy from QVC for the EZ pay option not matter what anyone posts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

FYI... I do not have the best and the most expensive However I would not buy a device from any shopping channel. They sell older computers  with a ton of bloat ware I will never need of use.  So I have no "bragging rights". And if you read some older threads people have been complaining about QVC shipping and handling and the long wait time to get a computer device and when the laptop came it had problems. And your post to me had nothing to do with what I was trying to say. Maybe read it more carefully before you judge me.Woman Indifferent 

And vice versa. I was simply pointing out that "older" technology is often safer and more reliable. I was not judging you, simply pointing out that older technology isn't always worse. It wasn't intended as an insult to you, simply a statement on the reality of modern technology. Read my post again. It is simply an informative post echoing comments one will hear from many, if not most, who have built computers. I was simply pointing out that older technology in the six-month to the one-year-old range is often a better buy than the cutting edge stuff that's just come out. I am sorry if you took offense at it. It wasn't intended to be anything but informative. 

Alright ... First of all I do not need to read your post again. I know very well  they are not making them the way they used to. If I need to read about modern technology I will read it from the experts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

What gets me is the advice always includes QVC adds junk and bloatware you'll never use or need.  How arrogant to think you know what people will use or need.  People are going to buy from QVC for the EZ pay option not matter what anyone posts. 

Again another voice heard from... read the older threads and you will see everyone on there is complaining about the same things. People can go to any store and get financing they do not have to use QVC for EZ pay. They go to QVC because they think they are getting a good buy for the most  part they are not. 

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Alright ... First of all I do not need to read your post again. I know very well  they are not making them the way they used to. If I need to read about modern technology I will read it from the experts. 

I could careless if you read it or not! ANd you are not a expert if you buy it from shopping channels.

Occasional Contributor

Hi - I hope you solved your Microsoft key issues...  Do you have the phone number for Lifetime PC Support.  I have an HP Laptop purchased from QVC too and cannot find any info on the Lifetime PC Support.   Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure the OP is okay since the original post was in 3/2020 and they haven't been back since then. @Jax_QVC