Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please help/questions about virus protection for windows 10

@Mindy D wrote:

BE AWARE THAT ANTIVIRUS PRIGRAMS SUCH AS NORTON AND MCCAFFEE DO NOT WORK WITH THE WINDOWS 10 DEFAULT BROWSER CALLED EDGE.

EDGE IS ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH MICROSOFT’S BUILT IN SECURITY SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS 10. WINDOWS 10 DEFENDER.

DEFENDER IS ALREADY ON YOUR COMPUTER. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY IT.

IF YOU PURCHACE AN OUTSIDE BRAND OF ANTIVIRUS PROTECTION SUCH AS NORTON YOU MUST SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT BROWSER.

YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO WINDOWS EXPLORER. IN YOUR SETTINGS YOU HAVE TO MAKE EXPLORER YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER AND TURN OFF EDGE BROWSER.  

I‘M NOT SURE IF CHROME BROWSER CAN BE PROTECTED BY NORTON OR MCCAFFEE. IF YOU'RE

USING CHROME IT IS NOT PROTECTED BY MICROSOFT’S DEFENDER.

I use Norton with Window 10 and chome. I am not fan of Window defender. WD will work, but I like stronger security tools. Please read about WIndow 10 before considering. I find Avir or  Avast to.be two great 

Programs.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had Comcast when I had my windows computers  and at that time [going back a few years] I had Norton for free. I do not think that is the case anymore. But I did have something called a "security suite" which came with my Comcast Norton subscription which along with Comcast worked very well. Now we have CB 's which have virus protection built in. For out tablets and our phones we use whatever virus and malware protection is free. It works well on all our devices and it does not cost us a cent.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

BE AWARE THAT ANTIVIRUS PRIGRAMS SUCH AS NORTON AND MCCAFFEE DO NOT WORK WITH THE WINDOWS 10 DEFAULT BROWSER CALLED EDGE.

EDGE IS ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH MICROSOFT’S BUILT IN SECURITY SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS 10. WINDOWS 10 DEFENDER.

IF YOU PURCHACE AN OUTSIDE BRAND OF ANTIVIRUS PROTECTION SUCH AS NORTON YOU MUST SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT BROWSER.

YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO WINDOWS EXPLORER. IN YOUR SETTINGS YOU HAVE TO MAKE EXPLORER YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER AND TURN OFF EDGE BROWSER.  

I‘M NOT SURE IF CHROME BROWSER CAN BE PROTECTED BY NORTON OR MCCAFFEE. IF YOU'RE

I use Norton with Window 10 and chome. I am not fan of Window defender. WD will work, but I like stronger security tools. Please read about WIndow 10 before considering. I find Avir or  Avast to.be two great 

Programs.

FYI you need more then the windows defender, you need another virus protection to keep your computer safe. There are a lot of options now so just do the research, good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I just signed up with Comcast internet and was not aware it came with Norton for free.

I use Trend Micro and have a 3 year subscription that covers all of my devices (phone, tablet, etc) and comes with live support.

I like the live support because one two occasions I must have clicked on something (I have a touch screen) and it required them to go deep inside my laptop to get it all out.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@newjersey

We relied on the "free" programs that came with our computers, until my husband's desktop, which I also used occasionally at the time, picked up a nasty virus which destroy its OS. 

We were living in another state at the time, just a few years ago, and were with Cox.  With them, we had opted to pay a psaltry additional $2 per month for tech help, should be need it.  Well, when this virus struck, I called Cox Tech Help.  They quoted $150 to fix it, after the tech person had gotten into the computer, discovered exactly what the issue was, etc.  My 6th sense told me that $150 was going to be a deal, so I accepted.  (We got this deal because of the $2 we'd been paying every month.)  Long story short, it took 3 Cox tech persons 18 hours to fix our computer.  This included the original tech telling me I had to go out immediately and purchase a new Microsoft Operating System, as the virus had blown the current one in our computer.

Enough said about that.

Thereafter, we loaded the "Free" version of AVG and it was great for about 3 years until they changed things, which made a number of their best features no longer free.  Though my husband objected, I enrolled in and paid for 4 different AVG programs which constantly monitor my laptop, not his desktop.  These are absolutely fantastic.  Why did I really go to this extent?  Because hacking and all things BAD have gotten so much worse and sophisticated in the last 5-8 years. 

With AVG, I can not only run maintenance and a number of other evaluations, but the AVG programs I paid for are constantly looking for the nasty stuff trying to get in.  The second it finds something, a dialog box pops up in the lower right hand corner of my screen to let me know.  There's also an option that I can click on for additional info regarding exactly what was found.

(I also paid to have my drivers automatically updated.)

How do I feel about the safety of my laptop now?  Expressing it numerically, I'd say that I feel at least 80% more secure.  Why not 100% secure?  Because the bad guys out there are just good enough to get past what's on the market, like AVG., let alone the basic free-be stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Programs.

FYI you need more then the windows defender, you need another virus protection to keep your computer safe. There are a lot of options now so just do the research, good luck to you!

You can only one anti-virus program at a time. You can use malware software like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. 

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@newjersey

We relied on the "free" programs that came with our computers, until my husband's desktop, which I also used occasionally at the time, picked up a nasty virus which destroy its OS. 

We were living in another state at the time, just a few years ago, and were with Cox.  With them, we had opted to pay a psaltry additional $2 per month for tech help, should be need it.  Well, when this virus struck, I called Cox Tech Help.  They quoted $150 to fix it, after the tech person had gotten into the computer, discovered exactly what the issue was, etc.  My 6th sense told me that $150 was going to be a deal, so I accepted.  (We got this deal because of the $2 we'd been paying every month.)  Long story short, it took 3 Cox tech persons 18 hours to fix our computer.  This included the original tech telling me I had to go out immediately and purchase a new Microsoft Operating System, as the virus had blown the current one in our computer.

Enough said about that.

Thereafter, we loaded the "Free" version of AVG and it was great for about 3 years until they changed things, which made a number of their best features no longer free.  Though my husband objected, I enrolled in and paid for 4 different AVG programs which constantly monitor my laptop, not his desktop.  These are absolutely fantastic.  Why did I really go to this extent?  Because hacking and all things BAD have gotten so much worse and sophisticated in the last 5-8 years. 

With AVG, I can not only run maintenance and a number of other evaluations, but the AVG programs I paid for are constantly looking for the nasty stuff trying to get in.  The second it finds something, a dialog box pops up in the lower right hand corner of my screen to let me know.  There's also an option that I can click on for additional info regarding exactly what was found.

(I also paid to have my drivers automatically updated.)

How do I feel about the safety of my laptop now?  Expressing it numerically, I'd say that I feel at least 80% more secure.  Why not 100% secure?  Because the bad guys out there are just good enough to get past what's on the market, like AVG., let alone the basic free-be stuff.

If you don't mind my saying so, you were almost certainly scammed by lying techs. For anything to take three tech support guys eighteen hours and then require you to buy a new copy of the OS is a bit out there. Unless they were utterly incompetent idiots (a very real possibility) they were scamming you. Now if you were running an absurdly old OS  that wasn't still supported (Windows 95, XP, Vista) it would have made sense to suggest you buy a new OS, but to say a virus wrecked it and you need a new one is nearly certainly a scam. Good tech support typically has access to really good anti-virus tools that will find and destroy any virus/malware lurking in your system. Now those scans can take a while, possibly eighteen hours, but the tech simply starts it and walks away until the scan is complete and the computer is restored. And truth be told most modern anti-virus/malware programs commercially available, along with Windows Defender, are pretty darn capable these days. If a virus/malware gets past them, then something like Malwarebytes will typically find it and destroy it. There are countless tutorials online on how to fix nearly any virus/malware issue, at little to no cost. And there are countless clueless techs out there looking to rip people off. You're generally much better off trying to fix problems yourself.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I agree.  Trend charges $79 for them to clean your computer and the longest it took was about 45 minutes and that included the time with the free tech instructing me to see if I could do it myself.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Programs.

You can only one anti-virus program at a time. You can use malware software like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. 

I was speaking of virus protection not Malware there is a difference. The defender works well with Norton or Macafee.