Trusted Contributor

Please help/questions about virus protection for windows 10

I use a chromebook but just recently bought a Windows 10 computer and the 30 day free McAfee antivirus program has expired on it.   Is it better to buy antivirus protection and if so, what are some of the ones that you use? Does malware come with the antivirus program?  If not, what do I do? Is 'free' antivirus just as good?   If I buy protection, just 'how' do I get it installed on my computer? Thank you for any replies.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help/questions about virus protection for windows 10

[ Edited ]

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender you can use for free as your anti-virus. It also has a firewall. It should already be installed on your computer. Click on your Windows Icon bottom left of screen to see your menu on the left side. Scroll down to the W's & you should see it. You can use Malwarebytes to check for Malware. They have a free version that you have to run.

Honored Contributor

You can download the Malwarebytes at File Hippo. Just Google File Hippo & Malwarebytes. Click on the green box DOWNLOAD FREE VERSION & follow the steps. Sometimes they will have some other box with check mark in it to download other ****** you don't need so just take the check mark out of the box. You will have to look for this. If you don't see it & something else tags alone from it you can remove that program from your menu. Make sure you pick free version since they keep throwing up the paid version trying to get you to install it.

We have the paid version but bought it when it was a flat price of $24.95 so we don't have to pay their yearly fee. Now it's $24.95 per year.

Esteemed Contributor

I use security software provided by Comcast, Norton. It runs well on a computer with  at leas 8GB of RAM. I like two other free programs, Avast or AVG.

Most  security programs are owned by big companies. Please know what you are using and read the fine print.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check with your internet provider, too. They usually offer a protection program for free with your service.

Which ever option you choose, there is usually a link provided somewhere for you to download the program app onto your PC. Once it's downloaded and installed then you can start using it.

Honored Contributor

There are all kinds of free options from your ISP and Windows, but I opt to run Kapersky Security and have the free version of Malwarebytes installed, which I run periodically. I've been satisfied with both products.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

When I had to have my virus removed after Norton proved useless, my computer tech installed the Free version of Avast on my computer.   It does try to upsell but he insists that the free version is what I want.

Honored Contributor

I like Webroot.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey, my SIL told me about - which I will be trying

ESET    also known as:

ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Honored Contributor

BE AWARE THAT ANTIVIRUS PRIGRAMS SUCH AS NORTON AND MCCAFFEE DO NOT WORK WITH THE WINDOWS 10 DEFAULT BROWSER CALLED EDGE.

EDGE IS ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH MICROSOFT’S BUILT IN SECURITY SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS 10. WINDOWS 10 DEFENDER.

DEFENDER IS ALREADY ON YOUR COMPUTER. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY IT.

IF YOU PURCHACE AN OUTSIDE BRAND OF ANTIVIRUS PROTECTION SUCH AS NORTON YOU MUST SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT BROWSER.

YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO WINDOWS EXPLORER. IN YOUR SETTINGS YOU HAVE TO MAKE EXPLORER YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER AND TURN OFF EDGE BROWSER.  

I‘M NOT SURE IF CHROME BROWSER CAN BE PROTECTED BY NORTON OR MCCAFFEE. IF YOU'RE

USING CHROME IT IS NOT PROTECTED BY MICROSOFT’S DEFENDER.