Esteemed Contributor

Please help.I Need I Pad advice!!

I'm in desperate need of a new tablet.I've been doing some research & have my eye on the I Pad Air 2 32gb wifi version.I currently​ have an HP10 with Android.

--Is it a good choice?

-- How easy would it be to switch from an Android to the I Pad?

-- Is there a way to transfer my contacts or do I have to manually re enter each one?

-- Can I transfer my pictures? How?

-- I have a Gmail email account can I transfer it over?

Thank you for any help/ information you can give me.I'm not at all tech savvy!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Please help.I Need I Pad advice!!

Im not an expert by any means, but have had Ipads since they first came out.  You will absolutely love how easy it is to use!  Very intuitive and they offer classes to get you started.  

Do you have an iphone?  If so, have the apple store help you move your contacts and photos over to your ipad.  Somehow they use the cloud so both devices are always the same.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sugar22 I don't have an iPhone.I have a Samsung Android phone.

Honored Contributor

The iPad is so easy to use.My son recommended that I buy one because I am so low tec.I can't answer your questions but I can say that I can't live without mine.When I used a standard laptop I was rarely on the thing but the iPad is my greatest love.i can text my son and we can FaceTime chat...enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's a good choice as far as devices go.

I think the iPad is easier to use than Android devices, but keep in mind some things are proprietary. If you use a lot of downloaded apps, you will lose them and have to reinstall them. If you had to pay for them, you will need to pay again and if you had data associated with them, you may need to start over. Each app is different, so this applies to some, not others. You'll need to do the research.

I don't know about contacts, but if you search Google, I am sure you will find an answer, either a No or a way to make the transfer.

You can transfer pictures by uploading them to a computer and then downloading them to the iPad. You can also upload them to a cloud service and then download them from there if you don't have a computer, but that will be much more time consuming.

A Gmail account works on any device. Just launch Gmail on the browser and log in OR use the Settings to link your new device to your Gmail account.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue You know a little something something about computers....I'm impressed!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been an iPad user for about 5 years.  First got one at work then opted for the iPad mini for myself.  Just the other day my mom mentioned she'd like to have an iPad.  She just wants to be able to check email and surf the Internet, so I told her she may want to look around and see what else is out there before she decides, but I don't think she'd be disappointed with iPad.  

When you get an iPad, you set up your Apple account and the iCloud.  If you purchase at a place like the Apple Store or Best Buy, they can help you set this up before you leave the store.  Once you set up your Apple account and sync your photos to the cloud, you'll be able to access your photos from your HP computer when you log into your iCloud account.  You could also connect your iPad to your computer using the cable that comes with it to access the photos you take on the device from your computer.

I have a Gmail account that I run through the iPad's email app.  I've actually got 3 email addresses running through that app.  All you have to do is go into settings to set up the email accounts.  There are also Google apps that you can download.  I use the Google apps for Google Drive, Google Docs, and Sheets on my iPad all the time for work.

I'm not familiar with Android, so I can't answer those questions.  Overall, I've been pleased with my iPad experiences.  If I ever want to know how to do something, I Google it and usually find a YouTube video to walk me through the steps, and there are some very helpful Apple users here in the QVC forums.

Esteemed Contributor

Also wanted to mention about the storage...I have 32 GB and I've decided that when I upgrade I'm going for more storage.  I have and run a lot of apps which take up quite a bit of storage space.  Plus I tend to take lots of videos and photos in one outing.  If I don't clean off my videos and photos before I go, I will run out of storage.  On top of that, I have an iTunes music library downloaded onto my iPad that takes up a lot of storage too.  

So, when you asked is the 32 GB a good choice, I think it depends on what you want to do with your iPad.  If you're not planning to download a lot of music and take lots of videos, it will probably be more than enough storage.  

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I'm in desperate need of a new tablet.I've been doing some research & have my eye on the I Pad Air 2 32gb wifi version.I currently​ have an HP10 with Android.

--Is it a good choice?

-- How easy would it be to switch from an Android to the I Pad?

-- Is there a way to transfer my contacts or do I have to manually re enter each one?

-- Can I transfer my pictures? How?

-- I have a Gmail email account can I transfer it over?

Thank you for any help/ information you can give me.I'm not at all tech savvy!!

@NicksmomESQ- your email will be easy to set up. As others have said, get as much memory as you can afford. Don't skimp on memory. 

I have Apple everything, iPhone, iMac, iPad. Love them all. Easy to use. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ChynnaBlue You know a little something something about computers....I'm impressed!

If my tech doesn't work, I have to stop working, wait for someone to fix something, or pay someone to fix something, or all of the above. It was worth it for me to learn more about my devices so I could tackle smaller issues myself and not have to wait on or pay others. Smiley Happy

It also helped me save $500 when I built my own desktop computer instead of buying one off the shelf, so that's a bonus.