Respected Contributor

Please Help - Amazon Fire Tablet

I am trying to learn about these new gizmos (I still use a flip top phone LOL).  Can I use this in my home to take photos, videos and search the net if I do not have Wi-Fi in my home?  I asked this question twice under the TSV but did not receive any response.  I have no clue how any of these things work but I am determined to learn.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please Help - Amazon Fire Tablet

https://www.howtogeek.com/337087/so-you-just-got-an-amazon-fire-tablet-now-what/

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

@lovesallanimalsI still have a flip phone as well, let's see if I can help you.

You can take photos and videos without wi-fi. I don't know which Fire tablet you are looking at, but if you like to take a lot of photos and videos, you may want to get an SD micro card so you have more memory. Videos take up more memory than photos. You cannot search the web without wi-fi though. Anytime you get onto the web you have got to have some type of connection to an internet service. Since there is no hard connection on the tablet, it must use wi-fi. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals, this is what google says...

Answer: The fire edition generally works as all kindles, as soon you download a book/song you can read/listen without wifi - but you need the connection for the downloading part. Many games also can be played without internet connection - but again - the connection is needed for the downloading.

Bottom line is you need wifi to download items and and use the internet.  If there is a camera function, you can use it without the internet but you will not be able to post photos online.  HTH.  LM

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I am trying to learn about these new gizmos (I still use a flip top phone LOL).  Can I use this in my home to take photos, videos and search the net if I do not have Wi-Fi in my home?  I asked this question twice under the TSV but did not receive any response.  I have no clue how any of these things work but I am determined to learn.  Thank you.

No, you can't.  Now, you can take the device to a spot with free WIFI, like McDonald's or the library, and use their WIFI.  Otherwise, you'll need to get a wireless router for your home. 

Honored Contributor

Also, some games require an occasional WiFi connection (once every few months or so) in order to be playable. You can play them in between connections, but they need to be validated every so often. It's something annoying I discovered during the five months I had no WiFi.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

You can't do anything on the internet without WiFi, how do you access QVC now?

All of the answers above are correct.

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Can't help you with the Amazon Fire but just so you know.......flip phone here too. Even when I lost mine and had to get a new one last year.......got another flip phone.

Honored Contributor

Just a note for you flip phone owners. When you finally get a smart phone, it'll blow your mind all you can do with it. My cheap little LG Premiere Pro ($89.99 with a years service when I bought it) is a mini-computer for accessing the net from nearly anywhere, phone, camcorder, digital still camera, radio, digital assistant, calendar, timer, clock, flashlight, WiFi hotspot, FM radio, portable gaming unit, and more, all in one tiny little package.

You'll be amazed at how you ever got along without one once you get your hands on a smartphone. And they're really inexpensive these days. (Or they can be anyway.) You'll find yourself using it more and more and wonder why you waited so long to join the revolution. I never have to look for a timer, camera, clock, or flashlight these days. It's there with me hiding in my phone. If I'm out someplace where there's no WiFi and I need to use my tablet for something a quick flick, a couple of taps, and my phone turns into a hotspot using its data to feed the tablet. I made the switch from a flip phone about four years ago, and boy am I glad I did. I was always one of those "I don't need all of that" people, but it turns out I did and I just didn't realize it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Just a note for you flip phone owners. When you finally get a smart phone, it'll blow your mind all you can do with it. My cheap little LG Premiere Pro ($89.99 with a years service when I bought it) is a mini-computer for accessing the net from nearly anywhere, phone, camcorder, digital still camera, radio, digital assistant, calendar, timer, clock, flashlight, WiFi hotspot, FM radio, portable gaming unit, and more, all in one tiny little package.

You'll be amazed at how you ever got along without one once you get your hands on a smartphone. And they're really inexpensive these days. (Or they can be anyway.) You'll find yourself using it more and more and wonder why you waited so long to join the revolution. I never have to look for a timer, camera, clock, or flashlight these days. It's there with me hiding in my phone. If I'm out someplace where there's no WiFi and I need to use my tablet for something a quick flick, a couple of taps, and my phone turns into a hotspot using its data to feed the tablet. I made the switch from a flip phone about four years ago, and boy am I glad I did. I was always one of those "I don't need all of that" people, but it turns out I did and I just didn't realize it.

@gardenman I hear ya loud and clear. My kids have told me a hundred times but they've given up. The only thing I would like in a phone is a garmin. However, I've decided if I don't know how to get somewhere then I'm just not going. lol