Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions Please - Cell phone decision

[ Edited ]

You have to decide which provider has the best network. I like Verizon, AT&T, or T-mobile. Each company offers prepaid service. You should read online about customer service. If you are having a problem with your phone, who will help.

I would recommend a simple Samsung J3 or J7 phone. Each of the companies sells these two phones. 

Trusted Contributor

i went to best buy and i asked them what they suggested... i'm not like most people who live on their phone.. only use it for calls and texting... i have my laptop for everything else...  they suggested a motorola phone. it was like 70.00 and everymonth i pay 30.00 taken right out of my bank acct.. they set it all up there and helped me with it.. i'm stipid with all if that stuff... i dont use my phone for any apps etc,, just for a normal phone and i love it... im paying the same as when i had my trac phone and then i hated it cause i paid to text... 

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman

Thank you all of the info.  I'm narrowing down my selection.  Decided to go with Con. Cellular.  DH is choosing the Motorola E5 Plus & I'm going to check into a refurbished iphone 8 plus.  If they don't have one, then I may go with the same as DH.  

During this search of mine, I just get so confused with so many different models - which is the new version, what're the differences.  So many prices are just way too high & I refuse to pay them.  I'm not one who's on the cell all day & can't let it go.

I do appreciate your taking the time to be so detailed.

Respected Contributor

I have  an Iphone SE, it's the smallest I could find.  It has a good camera and I can talk on it, works for me.  They aren't made anymore, and I'm not looking to be carrying around a honking big weighty thing so I"ll have this one for as long as it works.  We also have concumer cellular and are more than satisfied with them.  Our cost for 2 phones are $45.00 per month.

Trusted Contributor

UPDATE:

I ended going with Consumer Cellular & ordered 2 of the same phones - Motorola E5 Plus.  I had good reviews, so keeping fingers crossed that the quality is good.

I asked if they had a refurbished iphone 8plus but they didn't so that decided for me.  They est. my bill to be $50-55, depends on individual state taxes, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Moto phones are junk!

Trusted Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

UPDATE:

I ended going with Consumer Cellular & ordered 2 of the same phones - Motorola E5 Plus.  I had good reviews, so keeping fingers crossed that the quality is good.

I asked if they had a refurbished iphone 8plus but they didn't so that decided for me.  They est. my bill to be $50-55, depends on individual state taxes, etc.

yes i have a Motorola E5 Play.. dont know what the difference it but i like it.. they recommended it to me at best buy

Respected Contributor

@ScenicMaine

I've been using Tracfones for about 15 years. (prior to then, I was under contract with Verizon)

All my phones were specials on either QVC or HSN.  The last 2 were Smartphones.  I've never had a problem.  I can pretty much do anything my friends can do on their Apple phones. I've always paid less than a $100 for the phone and a year's service.  Some say it's cheaper to purchase a new phone as opposed to purchasing a year's service.  When my year was about to expire I went to Tracfone website and renewed for another year for under $50.

Super Contributor

I absolutely love my LG Stylo 4 from Tracfone. I bought it on HSN last August. I find that it is extremely intuitive and it pretty much replaces my laptop for simple reading, research and games in the evening. It's a little more expensive at around $200 with a years worth of minutes, data and texts, but it's oh so worth it! I'll probably replace it yearly from now on with other Stylo's as they are redesigned and upgraded.

Trusted Contributor

@lulu1

@SchippyLuv

Thank you both for your input.  Intially, I really wanted TracFone.  We did have them several years ago but DH wasn't happy with dropped calls.  I didn't have any problem.  I just hope I don't regret the Motorola.  I tried doing my research but the different models & specs start getting mind boggling trying to decide.  Reviews were all over the place on models I was interested in.  We should be receiving our phones by the end of this week.  We'll find out soon enough Cat Frustrated