Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions Please - Cell phone decision

Any smart phone has a learning curve.  It depends on how many of the features are you going to use, and will you spend the time to learn how to use them?

It's not that difficult, especially if you take them one at a time.  All together it can be overwhelming though.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner

I'm somewhat familiar with the smartphones.  Prior to us having our current phones, we tried the tracfones.  I liked it EXCEPT for the constant download apps, etc.  Drove me nuts.  DH didn't like it because he experienced dropped calls but at the time, the lumberyard he worked at is surrounded by high hills, mountains & I'm thinking that was the cause.

Do you know if the newer smartphones still interfer by downloading?  Or can we choose our own apps when we want to?  thanks

Respected Contributor

To pick a phone that would be good for you, first decide if you will mostly use it for talk and text or internet functions. Talk and text are cheap. Tracfone will be fine.

Internet usage is not cheap. Some companies offer unlimited data, but then the small print tells you you only get a few gigs of high speed and then you are slowed to 2G speeds. Will you need to use many apps on the phone? Apps are specialized programs. If so, you'll need a more expensive phone with a lot of storage and a more expensive plan. Tracfone won't be enough.  For example, my doctor wants me to use the LIBRE continuous glucose monitoring system and store all the information on my phone. I can't do it with my current phone and plan.

Your decision is so completely based on your individual needs that you really need to go to a phone store and talk. I've found the people pleasant and patient and not at all pushy. Don't rush into a decision -- it may cost you a lot to change.

Good luck!  

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

@Sooner

I'm somewhat familiar with the smartphones.  Prior to us having our current phones, we tried the tracfones.  I liked it EXCEPT for the constant download apps, etc.  Drove me nuts.  DH didn't like it because he experienced dropped calls but at the time, the lumberyard he worked at is surrounded by high hills, mountains & I'm thinking that was the cause.

Do you know if the newer smartphones still interfer by downloading?  Or can we choose our own apps when we want to?  thanks

@ScenicMaine  I have had an IPhone for a long time and don't ever remember apps downloading themselves to my phone unless I selected them.  

If you are talking about updates, yes that does happen, but usually doesn't interfere with my phone usage or cause problems.  I go to the app store occasionally and select the ones I want to update.  It is important to keep apps, operating systems updated, but I haven't found this to be a real problem.

It could be an issue if your phone is so old it takes forever to download the updates, or that they simply are too new to work with your phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ScenicMaine, DH changed from an android (Samsung) to an iPhone and really prefers the iPhone .  He finds it more user friendly.  I have an iPhone and really like it as I have iPad and MacBook Pro.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @ScenicMaine.  I would imagine the info you have on a basic flip (slide-out) phone is contact information.  To transfer that to a smart phone will probably mean re-entering it, but it is much easier to enter that info on a smart phone than the basic phones.

Once you have that info on a smart phone, there are seamless ways to transfer data from one to the next.

I have a 6S.  So does DH (we bought them refurbished for around $125 each).  He is known to be resistant to technology but it did not take him long to become comfortable with it.  What we find is that the options are many, but they have a purpose.  You get to decide what you need and what you don't.  It's a very useful tool.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I have the newest Moto phone and I like it very much. My husband has a Samsung and he likes mine better. Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

HAPPY SUNDAY & good morning All,

Thank you all for your suggestions, opinions. 

iphone seems to be the clear winner.  Prices are out of sight though so now I'm wondering about the refurbished phones.  I heard a tech guy on our radio station saying he thinks the the iphone 7 & 8plus are fine.

What are your thoughts?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to picking a smartphone your big decision is really mostly about the camera. All smartphones use the same apps (give or take a bit between Android and Appple.) So the cheapest smartphone on the market and the most expensive will pretty much do the same things. The cameras are where you'll see the biggest difference. If you're planning to shot 4K video, take professional quality photos, or the like, you'll want a higher end smartphone. They're really like an SLR camera these days in the quality of photo and video they shoot. If you're fine with more of a point and shoot style camera and plain old hi-def video, then even the cheap ones will do fine.

At this moment, I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a high end phone as the 5G services will be rolling out this year and into the future. That new 5G service is a gamechanger and I'd be inclined to wait a year to get a high end phone with that capability rather than spend the big bucks to get one now without it. And you can spend over a thousand dollars these days on a phone if you want to.

And there are lots of really good, lower end phones on the market. I'm using Tracfone's LG Premiere Pro (I paid $90 for it with a year's service through HSN back in September) and it's fine for me. YouTube is a great source for information on smartphones with many side by side comparisions. The LG Stylo 4 is getting lots of raves on YouTube these days and is about a $200 phone. If you're an Amazon Prime member and love Amazon, they sell unlocked phones with their apps built in for a good price. They often include bonuses like more memory also.

Speaking of memory, I'd avoid the phones with just 8 gb's of storage. By the time the phone loads all of the built-in stuff those phones leave very little room to add apps you're interested in. Phones with at least 16 gb's of memory are a much better option.

In my experience, most phones function pretty similarly. There will be a learning curve, but you'll adapt pretty quickly, just don't be too initimidated. As a general rule you simply have to learn to tap, and swipe and you can do pretty much anything on a phone. Once again, there are tons of tutorials on YouTube to walk you through basic uses and even the more advanced stuff.

Don't get overly hung up on the processor speed or the number of cores. Most phones will be plenty fast for whatever you need it to do. I don't think mine takes over a second or two to do anything and it's a $90 phone. 

If you absolutely have to have the highest quality video and photo capabilities, then you'll be looking at the very high end phones. And they're very impressive. But, if you're fine with the photo and video quality you'd get from a point and shoot camera, pretty much any smartphone will do just fine. With 5G tech on the immediate horizon, I personally wouldn't invest in a high end phone at this time. Good luck and have fun! 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I never use my cell. I might call the guys  and do call a friend that lives far away,othe rthan that I keep it turned off. Those that need to get ahold of me can and do call me on the landline. I do not give that number out to businesses,etc.If DH and i are in a store I might use it to call him if I can't find him or if he is out in woods and is needed for something or other. My cell is a pay as you go.