Honored Contributor

Re: Older Tracfones Not Compatible for 2020???

I don't know what my Tracfone is.  I have had it for a could years or so.  My last Tracfone was very old and got a message that mine was no longer able to work with technlogy and they actually send me a free replacement phone.  DH got one, too.  Haven't heard anything so far about this one??? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just activated my new LG Pro Tracfone with 4g. I should be ok.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I had the same message about my LG phone, so right after Christmas I gritted my teeth and set up a new tracfone, Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown I bought last year when it was a special.  I am so glad I did, just love the new better phone, it activated in a minute or so and everything went smoothly.

Super great photos now as well.  I would have dithered forever if they hadn't nudged me into the new one.

Respected Contributor

I've had my phone for about 3 years. Are the new phones available for purchase that will work with 5 G? I only want a little flip phone like I have now. I rarely use it at all. Maybe every couple of months, or so. Originally purchased when my mom was sick and she has since passed. I've kept it for emergency use.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I've had my phone for about 3 years. Are the new phones available for purchase that will work with 5 G? I only want a little flip phone like I have now. I rarely use it at all. Maybe every couple of months, or so. Originally purchased when my mom was sick and she has since passed. I've kept it for emergency use.

@catter70 

My Alcatel flip phone is 4G which still works just fine. It's just the 2G and 3G phones that won't work. If you want to use the 5G network and if it's available in your area then you need to get a phone that has 5G compatible. As far as I can tell there are no 5G flip phones...just 5G smart phones.

Respected Contributor

4g will be working for longer than "just a time" lol. 5g is not replacing 4g in the way which 4g replaced 3g.

In fact, 4g and 5g will coexist for a very, very long time.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, I'm not sure what phone I have. I did use it this morning and it still works. I have no idea whether we have 5G in this area or not. I'm about an houro or so from NY and an hour or so from Philly. Anyhow, thanks for the info. Will use as long as I can. Hope I don't have to give up my triple minutes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can check and see if your phone is 3G or 4G (LTE) by going to Settings > Cellular Data > Carrier. Under Carrier it tells you Network Type (3G or 4G LTE). @catter70 

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @SilleeMee 

Honored Contributor

My 3g cell with ATT became incompatible years ago. That’s how I wound up with my current Tracphone. Until I read this post I never checked to see what LTE this phone has. I never charge it unless I’m going out so I don’t get a million unwanted calls. I’ll have to check it.