Trusted Contributor

Older Tracfones Not Compatible for 2020???

During the holidays I got a card from Tracfone and it included some coupons, ads, etc.  There was also a mention that my cell phone was not going to be compatible for 2020.  I did not give it much thought and thought when the time comes they'll provide me with more info.  My Tracfone is about 2-3 years old.

My husband has his cell phone with PagePlus.  He got a text message yesterday stating his for for 2020 is not compatible with the new network.

I called PagePlus and they said the info is correct and that you now have to have a phone that is 4G LTE.  I asked when do I have to purchase a new phone and was told as of 1-1-20.  I said my old phone still works so do I really need to buy a new one.  He said, yes as eventually you may not be able to receive or place calls with the old phone.

Oh my.  Now I guess we have to replace both of our phones.  Seem like a gimmick to me to force you to buy new phones.

My friend told me that last week her husband called Tracfone as he purchased a card for minutes but his phone was not accepting the puchase.  The person he spoke to told him the same thing...his phone is not compatible for 2020.

Anyone else familiar with this?  If so, are you also purchasing new phones or do you have any other info to share?  

Super Contributor

Re: Older Tracfones Not Compatible for 2020???

I rec'd a text saying the same msg.  and I have a phone from Net10.  I don't know  whats going on?

Honored Contributor

Cell phone service providers are killing off the old 2G and 3G networks, so phones that use those networks are becoming obsolete.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Verizon is shutting down their 2G and 3G networks which will affect Tracfone service. There will be no more new activations using those networks starting this year.

Esteemed Contributor

You'll be forced to upgrade to 4g service by 12/31/2020. The original date to upgrade was 12/19 but this was extended for 1 yr.

Your 3g service should be fine until then. I am still using 3g but you can no longer activate a 3g device so if your current 3g phone breaks you'll be forced to upgrade.

That said, it appears the move to 5g isn't moving as fast as they had hoped so I'm going to hang on to my old phone until later in the year. Waiting to see if 3g will be extended again.

Esteemed Contributor

Verizon/Tracfone is shutting down older 2G and 3G networks to make bandwidth available for new 5 G service. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You'll be forced to upgrade to 4g service by 12/31/2020. The original date to upgrade was 12/19 but this was extended for 1 yr.

Your 3g service should be fine until then. I am still using 3g but you can no longer activate a 3g device so if your current 3g phone breaks you'll be forced to upgrade.

That said, it appears the move to 5g isn't moving as fast as they had hoped so I'm going to hang on to my old phone until later in the year. Waiting to see if 3g will be extended again.

@Snowpuppy

The build out of the 5G networks maybe a little slow. The technology needs be tweeted, and 5G phones are still quite expensive.

JMO, l would not wait  until the last minute to replace a phone. You could go to make a call and you do not have service. 

Honored Contributor

5G has been turned on since June of last year in my area. I've seen the 5G repeater towers in my neighborhood since the latter part of 2019. 

Honored Contributor

I have been forced to upgrade my phone twice due to network upgrades; thru Sprint and AT&T.   Last January we had to upgrade my husbands cellphone thru Verizon due to incompatibility issues.    

Esteemed Contributor

I just checked on Verizon 5g in MI.

Detroit and major 'burbs have it. Just rolled out to Grand Rapids.

I live rural, like 5miles to the closest gas station rural. I think it's gonna be awhile. 😉

Besides, you don't have to jump to 5g. 4g still working for a time.