Trusted Contributor

Oh, no, I think I deleted....

the 2020 Census e-mail that was sent to me and emptied my trash.  Or, was this a scam?  If not, is there any way to retrieve it?  I use yahoo mail.  It looked legit because they had a code that I was supposed to use.

Any ideas on this?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Oh, no, I think I deleted....

[ Edited ]

@wismiss- We got a letter in the mail (USPS) with the code we needed for the census and we used that code to complete it online.  I'm not sure about getting anything sent via email; I'd be dubious about that.

However, the letter we got said that, if we did not complete the census online within a certain length of time, we would be sent one in the mail to complete.

I wouldn't worry about it.  The Census Bureau will follow up on it, if you haven't filled it in.

(ETA: - I just checked the Census Bureau's website.  It says they will send out invitations to complete the survey by mail, from March 12 - 20.  There is no mention of anything being sent by email.)

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss , i say scam.

My census came by mail. I could either choose to complete that and mail it back, or go to the website and fill it out online.

I completed the paper in minutes and caught the mailman, he mailed it back for me same afternoon.

I didn't get any email about the census. (How would the gov know which of my email addys to send it to?)

Today i got a letter in the mail with a code to use, If I wanted to do the online version.  Too late!

I'll bet that letter was supposed to be delivered same day as the census form.

Honored Contributor

I refuse to fill out any census information.  The government already knows all they need to know about me.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

As far as I know there is no census e-mail communication.  I received a snail mail form from Census 2020 which directed me to an e-mail dot gov to respond to.   We need to slow down and make sure we're not being duped before we jump into the pond.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

I did mine, online, a few days ago. When you finish, you get a receipt to save or print. In it, it says you may receive another letter in the mail, and to ignore it. I did get a second letter and I'm ignoring it. 

So... you may get another letter in the mail.

BTW... I did not get any form to fill out. It was only instructions to go online, and to use the code they send you that contains your address. No other code will work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss -I remember hearing about scam emails that are not real and not from the us census-this is from the 2020census.gov-

"Avoiding Fraud and Scams
The U.S. Census Bureau is committed to making the 2020 Census quick, easy, and safe for all participants. Here are some tips to help you stay safe.
SHARE:

A close-up of a census taker's hand holding a mobile phone.
Avoiding Scams Online

Phishing is a criminal act in which someone tries to get your information by pretending to be an entity that you trust. Phishing emails often direct you to a website that looks real but is fake—and may be infected with malware.

It is important to know that the Census Bureau will not send unsolicited emails to request your participation in the 2020 Census. Further, during the 2020 Census, the Census Bureau will never ask for:

• Your Social Security num
"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My guess also would be that it was a scam.  I got mine by mail the other day with a specific code to use.  It probably took less than 5 minutes to fill out the form online.  Not sure why anyone would be reluctant to fill out the form.  They are mainly looking for a head count. 

I also got a reminder notice in the mail yesterday.

I believe the next step (if you don't fill out the online form) is that you will get a paper form in the mail.  

Valued Contributor

Anytime there is anything going on, taxes, Social Security, Medicare, you will get scam emails and scam phone calls. Don't open any of the emails, and hang up on the calls. The Government doesn't wend out emails or make phone calls to ask you any questions. 

The only way they contact you is by mail. Even then, double check it is really from the Government. Many of the "real Government" looking mail pieces are from some company wanting you to do business with them. If it says Social Security on it, be sure it isn't some insurance company trying to trick you.

But, the census is not contacting anyone by email. That is a scam. Don't fill out anything ever unless you yourself type in the web address. Don't go to a link you get in any email, ever. Just like don't ever go phone any Government agency on a number you get in an email. Look up every web address, and every phone number. It takes time, but it could save your bank account. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

I refuse to fill out any census information.  The government already knows all they need to know about me.

@SurferWife 

A shame, we all must do our part. You may help your community open a new library, a school, get funds to repair roads and bridges.

They only want to know how many people live at your home. 

LOL, being online Google, Yahoo and Microsoft know everything about you. Amazon is big brother. 

It is too late to complain about staying unknown.