Respected Contributor

My cell keeps poping up ads.  I googled how to resolve this and the directions said, "Go to Google Play Store and deactivate notices.

But it didn't work.

I'm still getting ads.

ANYONE KNOW HOW to get rid of them?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem with previous phone.  I downloaded a few add-blocker apps which helped some, but not entirely.  At  one point I was even trying to take pictures and an add would pop up. So annoying,  I have a new LG phone and have not had any problem with adds.  Surely,  a tech savvy person can help you out.

Trusted Contributor

When are these ads popping up? When you're on an internet browser or just the ones that are like notifications?

First I would try going to settings, notifications then you can turn off notifications on any or all apps. Try turning them off for Chrome and the Google apps and anything else you want. I'd leave them on for the play store so you get update notifications if you want them.

If it's when you are on the regular internet browser tap on the three lines, tap on settings, go to sites and downloads, toggle on block pop ups. This might be under something different on your phone so look around. Also there are ad blockers listed that you can dowload.

I've never had this problem and I've only done the first two things and never put an ad blocker on.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Oh No! My cellphone!

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina 

Recently I was getting pop up ads on my phone, even if I wasn't using my browser. I narrowed it down to an app that was recently updated. The update uncluded a change that was popping up the ads. Some of the more recent reviews were complaining about the ads. I then left my bad review and uninstalled it.

If these pop ups started after installing any new apps, try uninstalling them. Just uninstall one at a time. Once the ads stop, you'll know you found the right one. Also look at recently updated apps. The suspect app might be a tool or game from an unfamiliar company. In my case it was a music equalizer.

Esteemed Contributor

I get ads in free game apps.  Figure that is how we pay our dues.

Esteemed Contributor

This maybe OT. Have you optimized your phone lately?  Android devices have a Device Management section under the Settings icon. This may help.

Most apps require us to give them permission. This consent can open our devices to more junk.

I do not block permissions when installing an app. Most apps will not run without a yes. 

I do block notifications from sites I visit. This is Allow or Block. 

I have been helped by viewing YouTube videos about using my phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did a hard reset on my LGK10 phone and I do not get pop ups anymore. 

Regular Contributor

@apple1964 After many attempts I finally did the same thing (hard reset) and that cleared up the popup ads completely. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MissMaggieMoo wrote:

@apple1964 After many attempts I finally did the same thing (hard reset) and that cleared up the popup ads completely. 

Oh good ,I am so glad it helped now your phone is cleaned  and factory reset and ready for use again!  Good for you.