Honored Contributor

Odd call DH had with tracfone

He recently purchased the newest LG tracfone from HSN and set it up with his promotional 1350 min with no problem. HSN has made this very simple to do now. Anyway he got a text from tracfone to warn him he was almost out of time - IMPOSSIBLE - so he called their CS and the man said he would re apply DH's 1350 min but he would have to PURCHASE some min and service time in order for that to occur. So poor DH buys $15 worth and the guy does indeed add the promotional time back on. When DH told me I said that was incorrect and I called HSN because they send you a # you can use if you have any issues setting up your phone. Remember - he has had and been using this phone for about a month with those promotional min and service on there then suddenly  after the text and he called them they dissappeared. Anyway , the service person at HSN agreed with me and after a lot of hassles for him was able to get my DH a credit to his cc for the $15. HONESTLY- THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE LOOKING TO RIP YOU OFF ANYMORE! So everything is back to where it was before he ever got that text, but only after a ton of hassles.

Honored Contributor

Re: Odd call DH had with tracfone

[ Edited ]

How true and sad.Smiley Sad

shaking my headSmiley Frustrated

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A word on the Jitterbug.  DH (in his mid 90's) decided this would be easier for him than his Iphone, so we purchased one from Best Buy.  The next day they reduced the price by 25%, so we did request and get that discount.  The second day it stopped working, so we had to call.  We were told that he had used 30 minutes of his 200 minute plan.  He had made one call, and received no calls ( kept his # a secret from everyone, so no one had it. (Phone to be used by only a few). We got that charge cancelled.  Then they said that he had received 11 text messages, so he owed an amount for that.  We had requested no text messages, and we had received none.  Apparently you have to request that incoming texts be blocked.  His fee for 200 minutes (plenty for him) was to be $14.95 per month. It came out to be (rounded) $20.00 per month, and if you want the ability to use the emergency call, there's yet another fee for that.  Honestly their advertising is definitely flawed.  He likes the phone, but please be careful if you buy. Caveat Emptor.

Esteemed Contributor

Promo minutes on a prepaid phone usually have a short expiration date.

Honored Contributor

@PerkupThe price they give us never includes fees and taxes..  Is that what raised the price to $20?

Curious because I've been thinking of going Jitterbug.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

This ^.   You have to pay attention to the expiration date when you buy new minutes as well.   It's a racket for sure.   I believe my friend does buy unlimited so her minutes will roll over.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Regular Contributor

151949-- there is a card you can buy from any Tracphone brick and mortar supplier that is "one year."  Cost is $100 (and you get 100 minutus).  Then ALL the minutes on your phone will not expire for one year from the date of insertion of that card. 

So, for instance, if you know that hubby uses 30 min per month, you would buy a $360 min card (30x12), and then add the $100 one year card, and ALL the minutes (from the past, i.e., whatever is left of the 1350 he has now) and whatever "minute" card you add to it, and the 100 min from the "year" card will not expire for one year.   

Time the addition of the "year" card to some specific event, like birthday or Christmas, so you won't forget when it expires, and you're set for the whole year. 

As long as you add a new "year" card before the expiration of the old one, ALL the unused minutes carry forward. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Wrong! They come with a year of service and he only had the phone a couple of months.

Honored Contributor

@forest4thetrees wrote:

151949-- there is a card you can buy from any Tracphone brick and mortar supplier that is "one year."  Cost is $100 (and you get 100 minutus).  Then ALL the minutes on your phone will not expire for one year from the date of insertion of that card. 

So, for instance, if you know that hubby uses 30 min per month, you would buy a $360 min card (30x12), and then add the $100 one year card, and ALL the minutes (from the past, i.e., whatever is left of the 1350 he has now) and whatever "minute" card you add to it, and the 100 min from the "year" card will not expire for one year.   

Time the addition of the "year" card to some specific event, like birthday or Christmas, so you won't forget when it expires, and you're set for the whole year. 

As long as you add a new "year" card before the expiration of the old one, ALL the unused minutes carry forward. 

Did you red the OP - he just purchased the phone a couple months ago - it came wirth 1350 min and a year of service. That was installed when he set the phone up but then DISAPPEARED for no reason and was restored only after he purchased $15 worth of service.

Regular Contributor

No 151949, I didn't "RED" it.  I did read it however, and thought I was helping.  Sorry to have bothered you.