Honored Contributor

OS 14 and using your Apple Pencil

Has Anyone here tried the new capabilities on your iPad for the pencil? Do you have any tips or things you've discovered? I'm getting ready to order a new pencil since I left it in its box and if you leave your pencil alone the battery will die on it. 

Super Contributor

Re: OS 14 and using your Apple Pencil

@Mindy D, I haven't tried anything yet. I just wondered if you have you tried charging your pencil before ordering an new one? It might still charge. I would definitely try it before you purchase a new one. I've had a few devices that I thought were beyond charging but they did. 

If you do try any new tricks, let us know!

Trusted Contributor

The pencil will recharge. Leave it connected to charge it and don't bother it for many hours. Once it finally fills itself it will take much less time to recharge afterwards.

I misplaced my pencil for nearly a year, thought it was lost. Found it by surprise and just left it plugged in overnight and next day it functioned properly. Continues to charge at a faster rate once I revived it. 

I wouldn't buy a new pencil until I gave it a very long opportunity to recharge. 

I have not yet installed iOS 14, so I can't comment on the new pencil features. 

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

The pencil will recharge. Leave it connected to charge it and don't bother it for many hours. Once it finally fills itself it will take much less time to recharge afterwards.

I misplaced my pencil for nearly a year, thought it was lost. Found it by surprise and just left it plugged in overnight and next day it functioned properly. Continues to charge at a faster rate once I revived it. 

I wouldn't buy a new pencil until I gave it a very long opportunity to recharge. 

@gizmogal It would charge up quickly then I'd unplug it and then poof the charge was all gone. Did yours do this?

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

@gizmogal It would charge up quickly then I'd unplug it and then poof the charge was all gone. Did yours do this?

No, mine took a while to charge the first time, but then it held a charge properly and was useful for quite a while after any charge. It still works fine.

Symptoms you describe do suggest your pencil is defective. Sorry!  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Typo?  You mean iOS 14.  No such thing as OS 14 *yet.*

iOS - mobile devices

OS - computers

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mindy D 

Typo?  You mean iOS 14.  No such thing as OS 14 *yet.*

iOS - mobile devices

OS - computers

@Mz iMac @No, I don't mean iOS 14. Apple recently made a change. The iPad now has a dedicated operating system and updates are now called iPadOS 14.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mz iMac @No, I don't mean iOS 14. Apple recently made a change. The iPad now has a dedicated operating system and updates are now called iPadOS 14.

@Mindy D   

Yea, that particular OS must always include the word iPadOS no spaces to distinguish it from comp OS & mobile devices iOS. 

Later this year or the beginning of next year, iPads & Macs will be able to use each others software.  Far as I'm concerned, an iPad is a "mobile device." Smiley Tongue

Your topic listed it separately which is why I got confused.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif