Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Not getting service on tracfone

Twice today ,once while talking the service went dead, message saying try again later,this is the only phone i have ,getting concerned.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Not getting service on tracfone

Have you had this happen before today?  Sounds like a cell phone tower service problem.  If you can get to a reliable phone, try calling CS at Tracfone and see if they know what is going on....  we don't have Tracfone but we totally rely on our cell phones and don't have a landline, so I know how important they are.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Also, go on the website (or log into your accout) and you can do a live chat.  I have had pretty good luck with this option and it is fairly quick.

Esteemed Contributor

I seriously doubt CS at TracFone has any clue about what's going on at any cell towers.
Yes, sounds like an issue at the cell tower.
Do you normally have a strong cell signal?
Where were you when you lost service? I always lose service in a lower part of my house. Normal service returns as soon as I walk back up stairs.
Also, does your phone use GSM or CDMA technology?
I remember reading AT&T (GSM) would sometimes bump TracFone users off their towers during peak use hours.
Honored Contributor

I always get a Tracfone with CDMA so I can use Verizon.  I once ordered a phone with GSM and it dropped calls.

You need to be sure you have the right service that is best for your area.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I always get a Tracfone with CDMA so I can use Verizon.  I once ordered a phone with GSM and it dropped calls.

What is that?

Honored Contributor

I was in my kitchen, and this happened once before.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

What is that?

I am not an expert on this but I do know that there are two types of cell phone towers that are used.  CDMA is used by Verizon, Sprint and US Celluar.  GSM is used by AT&T and T-Mobile.

When you purchase a Tracfone, you need to read the fine print and see which type of service the phone uses.  You will not be able to use a Verizon phone on a AT&T cell phone tower for example.

In most areas GSM is better and faster and preferred.  Where I live, CDMA works better. For some people, it doesn’t matter as both types work equally well.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday.
Just like real estate, good cell service is all about location, location, location.
In the top 10 cities with the worst cell service, I live in number 7.

Geographical influences like changes in elevation or large bodies of water can cause poor cell service. So can skyscrapers and other large buildings clustered together in a business area.
If I get in my car and drive West a few miles my cell service improves dramatically. But if I Drive East a few miles (toward a large body of water) my cell service is terrible and calls are dropped/ texts are delayed.

The best way to know whether GSM or CDMA is the best choice in your area is to ask the people who live and work around you. Ask them which they have and what kind of reception they get at home, at work, at the grocery store, all around town.

As I said before, AT&T is known to bump TracFone (and other) customer calls off their towers in favor of their own AT&T customers. TracFone hasn't said so, but I think that might be one BIG reason that they're moving toward more CDMA phones , using Version towers.

GSM technology is more widely used worldwide, but CDMA is more popular in the U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

I can no longer pick up messages though I use the right pin.