Respected Contributor

Re: Nook Free Fridays Thread

Free Fridays selection for 4/1:

Becoming UsBecoming Usby Amy Daws

The dreaded friend-zone... The last place I ever want to be with college basketball God, Jake LaShae. I am losing my mind trying to figure out what this gorgeous and confident man wants from me. I need to break through his walls. What is it about me that makes him not go there? What am I lacking? When a mind-blowing betrayal knocks the wind out of me, and I think I I can't feel any lower...Brody stumbles into my path—barefoot no less, and sexy as hell. His direct and mouth-watering swagger is a breath of fresh air. The feelings this man gives me are like nothing I've ever experienced. But Brody has a past. A past that makes it nearly impossible for him to trust me and let us become us in whatever capacity that may be. Just when Brody and I truly connect, just when I think that finding my soul-mate in college isn't a total joke, Jake comes back into my life…and messes things up…possibly for good.
… 
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Free Fridays selection for 4/8:

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Series #1)Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Series #1)by Louise Rennison

Average Rating: 4.7

Angus:
My mixed-breed cat, half domestic tabby, half Scottish wildcat. The size of a small Labrador, only mad.

Thongs:
Stupid underwear. What's the point of them, anyway? They just go up your bum, as far as I can tell.

Full-Frontal Snogging:
Kissing with all the trimmings, lip to lip, open mouth, tongues ... everything.

Her dad's got the mentality of a Teletubby (only not so developed). Her cat, Angus, is trying to eat the poodle next door. And her best friend thinks she looks like an alien -- just because she accidentally shaved off her eyebrows. Ergghhhlack. Still, add a little boy-stalking, teacher-baiting, and full-frontal snogging with a Sex God, and Georgia's year just might turn out to be the most fabbitty fab fab ever!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Better late than never!  LOL.

Free Fridays selection for 4/14:

The Tumor: A Non-Legal ThrillerThe Tumor: A Non-Legal Thrillerby John Grisham

John Grisham says THE TUMOR is the most important book he has ever written. In this short book, he provides readers with a fictional account of how a real, new medical technology could revolutionize the future of medicine by curing with sound.

THE TUMOR follows the present day experience of the fictional patient Paul, an otherwise healthy 35-year-old father who 

is diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Grisham takes readers through a detailed account of Paul's treatment and his family's experience that doesn't end as we would hope. Grisham then explores an alternate future, where Paul is diagnosed with the same brain tumor at the same age, but in the year 2025, when a treatment called focused ultrasound is able to extend his life expectancy.

Focused ultrasound has the potential to treat not just brain tumors, but many other disorders, including Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, hypertension, and prostate, breast and pancreatic cancer.

For more information, you can visit The Focused Ultrasound Foundation's website. Here you will find a video of Grisham on the TEDx stage with the Foundation's chairman and a Parkinson's patient who brings the audience to its feet sharing her incredible story of a focused ultrasound miracle.

Readers will get a taste of the narrative they expect from Grisham, but this short book will also educate and inspire people to be hopeful about the future of medical innovation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Free Fridays selection for 4/22:

Heiress Without a Cause (Muses of Mayfair)Heiress Without a Cause (Muses of Mayfair)by Sara Ramsey

Average Rating: 4.3

One title to change his life...

A disgraced son with a dark reputation, William Ferguson Avenel is content to live in exile in Scotland - until his father dies in the scandal of the Season, making him the new Duke of Rothwell and leaving him in charge of his young sisters. With rumors of insanity swirling around their family, the girls desperately need a chaperone. And he thinks he's found the lady for the job... until he discovers her dangerous secret life.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Free Fridays selection for 4/29: 

Forever Wishes

Forever Wishesby Leeanna Morgan

Wanted...A man with a big heart, a wicked sense of humor, and a baby on his mind.

Erin has always dreamed of being a mom, and after her parents' death that need got a whole lot stronger. With a baby-phobic ex-fiancé on the loose and no new man in sight, Erin knows her options are running out fast.

Jake Williams is a successful corporate lawyer. He moved back to Montana to help his family, not fall for a librarian with more on her mind than cataloging rules. But he's about to find out that love and a determined woman can change his life forever.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Free Fridays selection for 5/6:

A Corner of White (The Colors of Madeleine Series #1)

A Corner of White (The Colors of Madeleine Series #1)

The first in a rousing, funny, genre-busting trilogy from bestseller Jaclyn Moriarty! This is a tale of missing persons. Madeleine and her mother have run away from their former life, under mysterious circumstances, and settled in a rainy corner of Cambridge (in our world). Elliot, on the other hand, is in search of his father, who disappeared on the night his uncle was found dead. The talk in the town of Bonfire (in the Kingdom of Cello) is that Elliot's dad may have killed his brother and run away with the Physics teacher. But Elliot refuses to believe it. And he is determined to find both his dad and the truth. As Madeleine and Elliot move closer to unraveling their mysteries, they begin to exchange messages across worlds -- through an accidental gap that hasn't appeared in centuries. But even greater mysteries are unfolding on both sides of the gap: dangerous weather phenomena called "color storms;" a strange fascination with Isaac Newton; the myth of the "Butterfly Child," whose appearance could end the droughts of Cello; and some unexpected kisses...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi to all Free Fridays readers;

I'm not sure if anyone still reads this thread, but I just wanted to let you all know that due to schedule changes, I will not be able to post Free Fridays selections for several weeks.

Hopefully someone will pick up where I left off, but if not, you can find the selections on www.bn.com.  Search for Daily Readouts and you'll find the latest selection.

Once I'm back in the swing of things, I'll restart this thread (if no one has taken it over), and start posting them again.

Happy Reading! :-)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Topaz Gem  Well, I will miss you!  And I hope everything is OK with you.  I read this post every week and have it stickied on the top so I don't have to search for it.  You make things so easy for me!  

I will be your stand-in for today.  But with much less style.

Today's (Friday, May 6th) Nook Free Friday selection is...

A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty

The first in a rousing, funny, genre-busting trilogy from bestseller Jaclyn Moriarty! This is a tale of missing persons. Madeleine and her mother have run away from their former life, under mysterious circumstances, and settled in a rainy corner of Cambridge (in our world). Elliot, on the other hand, is in search of his father, who disappeared on the night his uncle was found dead. The talk in the town of Bonfire (in the Kingdom of Cello) is that Elliot's dad may have killed his brother and run away with the Physics teacher. But Elliot refuses to believe it. And he is determined to find both his dad and the truth. As Madeleine and Elliot move closer to unraveling their mysteries, they begin to exchange messages across worlds -- through an accidental gap that hasn't appeared in centuries. But even greater mysteries are unfolding on both sides of the gap: dangerous weather phenomena called "color storms;" a strange fascination with Isaac Newton; the myth of the "Butterfly Child," whose appearance could end the droughts of Cello; and some unexpected kisses...

EDIT:  Oh dear, @Topaz Gem, I didn't see you had already posted today's selection!  Yours looks much nicer than mine.  If I remember next week I will be your stand-in again.  See you soon! 

QVC Community member since 10/24/2006
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Stargazer!  Everything's fine, but a family member will be getting out of the hospital soon and will need some looking after for awhile.  I may not be able to log in regularly on Fridays, so I'm happy you're able to fill in.  You'll do a great job!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today's (May 13, 2016) Nook Free Friday selection is...

Light My Fire (Rock Royalty #1) by Christie Ridgway

Overview

Years ago, Rolling Stone magazine dubbed the nine collective children of the most famous band in the world “Rock Royalty.” Now all grown up, the princes and princesses are coming back to L.A.’s Laurel Canyon to discover if love can be found among the ruins of a childhood steeped in sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll.

One touch will start a fire…

World-weary band tour manager Ren Colson leaves his London business behind for a stay in Southern California, never expecting to wake up beside Cilla Maddox. Cilla Maddox—who in the years since their last meeting has turned sexy as hell. But she deserves more than a man hardened by long nights, dark roads, and too many faceless women.

One night will change her world…

Cilla Maddox not once imagined she’d see the bad boy of her dreams again. But then he’s sharing her air, her home, her bed. Though he claims he has no heart, she wants it to be hers. Can she convince him that the flames that leap between them might signify forever?

QVC Community member since 10/24/2006