Respected Contributor

Re: Nook Free Fridays Thread

[ Edited ]
    • fpo

October 30, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is DARE TO LOVE – the first in the sexy series from New York Times bestselling author Carly Phillips.

Overview

New York Times bestselling author Carly Phillips turns up the heat in her newest sexy contemporary romance series that introduces readers to the Dare family — siblings shaped by a father’s secrets and betrayal.

“One of my favorite reads this year.” — H.M. Ward, New York Times bestselling author of The Arrangement

“An incredibly sexy contemporary romance that’s impossible to put down!” — Rachel Van Dyken, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Bet

When it comes to family, Ian Dare gives his all but in relationships he offers the bare minimum. Until one glimpse of sensual Riley Taylor arouses his dominant and protective instincts. He will do anything to possess her — and does. But any future with Riley must include him dealing his half-brother who is a constant reminder of the pain he’d rather forget.

Riley Taylor believes herself immune to domineering men – until charismatic Ian Dare turns a simple kiss into an all out assault on her senses and she discovers she likes his brand of control in the bedroom. As their affair heats up, they soon realize they complete each other in ways neither imagined. But Riley’s past is closer than she cares to remember, and her struggles with Ian’s dominance might just cost her everything.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FREE FRIDAYS BOOK

Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles Series #1)

November 6, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is ONLY TIME WILL TELL – the first novel in internationally bestselling author Jeffrey Archer’s epic Clifton Chronicles series.

Overview

From the author of Kane and Abel and A Prisoner of Birth comes ONLY TIME WILL TELL, the first in an ambitious new series that tells the story of one family across generations, across oceans, from heartbreak to triumph.

The epic tale of Harry Clifton’s life begins in 1920, with the words “I was told that my father was killed in the war.” A dock worker in Bristol, Harry never knew his father, but he learns about life on the docks from his uncle, who expects Harry to join him at the shipyard once he’s left school. But then an unexpected gift wins him a scholarship to an exclusive boys’ school, and his life will never be the same again.

As he enters into adulthood, Harry finally learns how his father really died, but the awful truth only leads him to question, was he even his father? Is he the son of Arthur Clifton, a stevedore who spent his whole life on the docks, or the firstborn son of a scion of West Country society, whose family owns a shipping line?

This introductory novel in Archer’s ambitious series The Clifton Chronicles includes a cast of colorful characters and takes us from the ravages of the Great War to the outbreak of the Second World War, when Harry must decide whether to take up a place at Oxford or join the navy and go to war with Hitler’s Germany. From the docks of working-class England to the bustling streets of 1940 New York City, ONLY TIME WILL TELL takes readers on a journey through to future volumes, which will bring to life one hundred years of recent history to reveal a family story that neither the reader nor Harry Clifton himself could ever have imagined.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Kick (The Jenkins Cycle, #1)

November 13, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is KICK – the first novel in John L. Monk’s critically acclaimed Jenkins Cycle series.

A supernatural thriller with a vigilante twist.
They say suicides are damned for eternity. But if coming back to life in the bodies of violent criminals is Hell, then Dan Jenkins will take it. And he does, every time a portal arrives to whisk him from his ghostly exile in limbo.

Dan rides the living like a supernatural jockey, pushing out their consciousness and taking over. They’re bad guys, right? Killers and brutes of every sort, which makes it okay. He doesn’t know where their minds go while he’s in charge, and for the most part doesn’t care. For three weeks at a time, it’s a chance to relax and watch movies, read fantasy novels, and have random conversations with perfect strangers.

Normally, before the villain returns to kick him out, Dan dishes out a final serving of justice and leaves the world a safer place. It’s one of the rules if he wants more rides, and he’s happy to oblige. For a part-time dead guy, it’s a pretty good gig.

And then he meets her.

Respected Contributor

Obsidian (Lux Series #1)

November 20, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is OBSIDIAN — the first novel in Jennifer L. Armentrout’s thrilling “Lux” series.

“Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don’t kill him first, that is.”

Valued Contributor

FREE FRIDAYS BOOK

MaryCampisiNovember 27, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is A FAMILY AFFAIR — the first novel in Mary Campisi’s “Truth in Lies” series.

When Christine Blacksworth’s larger-than-life father is killed on an icy road in Magdalena, New York, a hundred miles from the “getaway” cabin he visited every month, she discovers a secret that threatens everything she’s always held to be true. Her father has another family that includes a mistress and a daughter. Determined to uncover the truth behind her father’s secret life, Christine heads to Magdalena, prepared to hate the people who have caused her to question everything she thought she knew about her father. But what she finds is a woman who understands her, a half sister who cherishes her, and a man who could love her if she’ll let him. The longer she’s around them, the more she questions which family is the real one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Free Fridays book for 12/4:

All Good Deeds (A Lucy Kendall Thriller)

Overview:

She's no killer. She's just taking out the trash.

Don’t call Lucy Kendall a serial killer. She’s fighting for the innocent, and she’ll do whatever it takes to bring justice.

When a child disappears, Lucy quickly discovers the link to a predator she’s faced before–a man the state of Pennsylvania decided to turn loose on the streets. Determined to find the little girl and put a criminal behind bars for good, Lucy forces her way onto the case.

As the search for the kidnapped child pulls Lucy into a web of evil beyond her darkest imagination, she’ll have to face her own dark truths to save the little girl–and herself.

Respected Contributor

A Brand of Christmas 

FREE FRIDAYS BOOK

December 11, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is in fact two great books paired together! A BRAND OF CHRISTMAS - the seasonal delight from author Maggie Shayne – contains both The Brands Who Came for Christmas and The Littlest Cowboy!

The TWO opening novels from New York Times bestseller Maggie Shayne’s TWO most popular series! 

The Oklahoma All-Girl Brands, Book 1: THE BRANDS WHO CAME FOR CHRISTMAS:
When good girl Maya Brand, eldest of five and the pillar of the family, has a moment of weakness and a one night stand with a drifter, she finds herself pregnant with a naked ring finger. Most Big Falls, Oklahomans think it must be a case of immaculate conception. But the drifter returns and trouble follows. So do an early labor, a freak storm, and a Christmas you will never forget.

The Texas Brands, Book 1: THE LITTLEST COWBOY
Upright and Honest Sheriff Garrett Brand is furious with the younger brothers he’s raised when he finds a baby on the doorstep one hot Texas morning…until he sees the note with his own name on it. A motherless baby boy, a soft hearted rancher, an overprotective family, and a woman in deadly trouble spell heartwarming emotion, spine tingling passion, and breathless romance.

The Brand Family…
A Miracle in Every Story!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nook Free Fridays selection for December 18:

Uncharted: Your Guide to Investing in the Age of Uncertainty

Tired of investing the “right way” only to see years of gains evaporate in mere months? Worried about the potential danger in the stock market right now? Concerned that stubborn politicians or central bankers in Washington will do something boneheaded to derail your retirement? It’s time to seize your financial destiny.In his new book, Moneynews.

Esteemed Contributor

For Friday, December 25, 2015:

Stalk Me (The Keatyn Chronicles Series, #1)

Welcome to the crazy, addictive life of Keatyn in this USA TODAY bestselling series! 

Keatyn has everything she ever dreamed. Her life is following the script she wrote for the perfect high school experience. She’s popular, goes to the best parties, dates the hottest guy, and sits at the most-coveted lunch table.   

She’s just not sure she wants it anymore. 

Because, really, things aren’t all that perfect. 
Her best friend is threatening to tell everyone her perfect relationship is a scam. 
Her perfect boyfriend gets drunk at every party they go to. 
It’s exhausting always trying to look and act perfect. 
And, deep down, she isn’t sure if she has any true friends. 

To add to the drama, her movie star mom has a creepy stalker. 
A hot, older man flirts with her and tells her they should make a movie together. 
And she’s crushing on an adorable surfer. Dating him would mean committing social suicide. 

So she writes a new script. One where all the pieces of her life will come together in perfect harmony.  
But little does she know, there's someone who will do anything to make sure that doesn’t happen.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook-blog/free-fridays-1225-stalk-me-animal-pet-celebrity-city/

Respected Contributor

Happy New Year, everyone!

Firefly HollowJanuary 8, 2016: Today’s Free Fridays eBook is Firefly Hollow, a stunning romance of Appalachia and first book in T.L. Haddix’s riveting “Firefly Hollow” series!

In 1960, a tragic death in the family calls young Sarah Browning back from college to her Appalachian homestead. Unable to return to school and finish her degree, she finds herself facing a future that isn’t what she’d planned. Lost and grieving, she wanders onto her reclusive neighbor’s property where she stumbles across the all-too-attractive Owen Campbell, a man hiding secrets she’d only ever thought were legend.

Owen Campbell was raised on the folklore of Eastern Kentucky, tales of men and women with magical abilities from shape-shifting to healing powers. Rejected by those he loves because of his own abilities, he isolates himself from the world. When he meets Sarah, he’s faced with the tough decision of whether to let her in or stay hidden away to keep his heart safe.

Please note – this book is NOT a typical paranormal romance. No rage-beast shifters or alpha dogs here. It is, however, at its heart a romance, with a few intimate scenes between the hero and heroine, as well as adult situations dealing with tragedy.