Valued Contributor

Re: Nook Free Fridays Thread

September 11, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is WICKED by Gregory Maguire. This special Free Friday eBook selection is being offered for one day only — so be sure to download it today!

Overview

This is the book that started it all! The basis for the smash hit Tony Award-winning Broadway musical, Gregory Maguire’s breathtaking New York Times bestseller WICKED views the land of Oz, its inhabitants, its Wizard, and the Emerald City, through a darker and greener (not rosier) lens. Brilliantly inventive, WICKED offers us a radical new evaluation of one of the most feared and hated characters in all of literature: the much maligned Wicked Witch of the West who, as Maguire tells us, wasn’t nearly as Wicked as we imagined.

Esteemed Contributor

@luv2drive wrote:

Ok. So all those views and no reply to my question. That's alright. I still enjoy this thread and I'm glad I found it again.

Thanks again to those who post the info.Smiley Happy

Have a great day everyone.

I'm just seeing your post for the first time! I don't know what's going on with the Nook blog. They haven't posted a book for the last two weeks (I think). At least they did today --- and it's a winner! I tried to find something out online, but I couldn't. 

Thanks for checking it out ceekay!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Hi beach-mom!  I have had a heck of a time with the B&N site for about 6 weeks now.  Their site has serious issues (or at least the Nook blog/Free Friday page does).  I have a couple of different links saved and one of them takes you to last week's page even if you are on today's page.  Very odd.  Anyhow, I was glad I was finally successful.  I notice lovescats posted in the Book Club forum that this is free for Kindle also.  It was not showing as free when I looked earlier so hooray for Kindle owners.

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Life-Times-Witch-Years-ebook/dp/B000FC14JY/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Super Contributor

@beach-mom Thank you for responding to me!! Heart I really appreciate it.

I do like this thread a lot and I think it's great of those that post the selections. As already mentioned, I look forward to checking the new books each week.

Again, thanks, and have a great weekend!!!!!!!

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Valued Contributor

FREE FRIDAYS BOOK: 

September 18, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is STILL LIFE WITH MURDER – the first in the Nell Sweeney Mystery Series by P.B. Ryan. 

Overview

Boston, 1868: The dawn of the Gilded Age, an era of burgeoning commerce and invention, of unimaginable new fortunes and lavish excess — for some. Born into poverty, young Nell Sweeney scratches by on her wits and little else until fortune blesses her with a position as nursery governess to the fabulously wealthy Hewitts. But she soon learns that ugly secrets lurk beneath the surface of their gold-plated world.

If anyone ever wants to find these by themselves, try this link.

Respected Contributor

September 25, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is SURVEILLANCE,  the first book in the thrilling Ghost Targets series by Aaron Pogue.

Overview

Janeane Linson is dead, and the impossible has happened: Every detail of her murder has been erased.

It’s Special Agent Katie Pratt’s first day with Ghost Targets, the division of the FBI that tracks elite, powerful criminals with the ability to disrupt the all-seeing Hathor monitoring system. And Katie’s first case is the murder of a young business woman who, according to video surveillance, has been strangled by a seemingly invisible attacker.

In her search for the killer, Katie finds a threat far more dangerous. Now she must find a way to use the system, her wits, and her instincts to defeat an enemy as powerful as the system itself.

SURVEILLANCE is the first book in the Ghost Targets series.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Valued Contributor

October 2, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is THE NEW ME, a sharply funny, poignant novel about women, marriage, and finding one’s best self by Mary Marcus.

Overview

Harriet is floundering. She’s in her early forties, her kids have gone to college, her marriage feels empty, her cable TV cooking show has lost its sense of inspiration, and she longs to leave the West Coast for New York. Then one day she meets Lydia, a gorgeous woman in her late twenties. Lydia reminds her so much of herself a decade or so past, and her husband, who hardly likes anything, likes Lydia as well. It slowly dawns on Harriet that Lydia could be the answer to everything that’s ailing her. All she needs to do is turn Lydia into “the new me.”

Reminiscent of the work of Susan Isaacs and Nora Ephron, THE NEW ME is a witty, poignant, perceptive, and beautifully written novel about change and the price of becoming who you want to be.

Valued Contributor

FREE FRIDAYS BOOK

October 9, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is SWEAT, an action-packed thriller from Mark Gilleo, one of the most exciting new voices in suspense fiction. Overview

“An amazing story with nonstop action taking us from a garment sweat shop in Saipan to the upper echelon of Washington D.C.’s elite politicians and business men.” — Single Titles

When Jake Patrick took a summer internship at his estranged father’s corporation, he anticipated some much-needed extra cash and a couple of free meals from his guilty dad. He would never have guessed that he’d find himself in the center of an international scandal involving a U.S. senator, conspiracy, back-room politics, and murder. Or that his own life would hang in the balance. Or that he’d find help — and much more than that — from a collection of memorable characters operating on all sides of the law. Jake’s summer has turned into the most eventful one of his life. Now he just needs to survive it.

From the sweatshops of Saipan to the most powerful offices in Washington, SWEAT rockets through a story of crime and consequences with lightning pacing, a twisting plot, an unforgettable cast of characters, and wry humor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

fpo

October 16, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is WHISKEY REBELLION, the first book in the Addison Holmes series by New York Times bestselling author Liliana Hart.

Overview

In Whiskey Bayou, Georgia, the humidity is thick, the gossip juicy, and family is everything. For Addison Holmes, she’s just trying to get by, and teaching history to a bunch of hormonal teenagers isn’t exactly lining her pockets. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Who would’ve guessed her principal would be in the audience of the strip club that hired her?

Addison is almost positive her life can’t get any worse. Until she stumbles over her principal’s dead body in the parking lot. There’s no way Whiskey Bayou won’t hear about that juicy tidbit, which means she’s likely to be out of a job.

Thank goodness for Kate McClean. Addison’s best friend owns The McClean Detective Agency, and sometimes it’s good to have friends in high places. Or at least places that can offer a girl a job to spy on low-lifes and adulterers. But when her principal’s murder intersects with her new job, this gum-shoe learns fast that she knows nothing about catching bad guys. Fortunately, the sexy detective in charge is there to lend a hand.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FREE FRIDAYS BOOK

Better World (Legacy Code Prequel)

October 23, 2015: Today’s Free Fridays eBook selection is BETTER WORLD – a fascinating science fiction novel by Autumn Kalquist — a prequel to her Fractured Era series.

Overview

The last humans spent centuries searching for a new Earth. Now they face extinction.

For three hundred years, arks have carried the last remnants of humanity through dark space. The ships are old, failing, and every colonist must do their duty to ensure the fleet’s survival.

Maeve is a metalworker, toiling in the blistering sublevels of the London. She’s lost friends and family to the hazardous work conditions and fears every job she’s assigned could be her last. All she wants is a little control over her life, but the oppressive sublevel enforcers ensure that’s not an option.

Now, after decades of traveling, the ships have finally reached their destination: Soren, a toxic planet that may have the resources they desperately need. But mining a planet comes at a price, and Maeve and the other workers will be expected to pay it with their lives. If a better world awaits, Maeve’s sure to be dead long before the fleet finds it… unless she finds a way to control her destiny and change it.

“Addictive sci-fi series. I haven’t been this hooked on an author since Anne McCaffery’s Killashandra series.”
– Marie Hall, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author