Honored Contributor

@Zhills

We had just very basic phone service, no long distance, and DSL. I called a phone rep for my charges on a particular bill, which was overcharged, to find our why it was so high.

She not only reduced that bill, but told me it would be cheaper to add services like "call waiting/3 way calling" and a few other features than our basic plan and DSL. Reduced our bill oner $15 a month, and more features, which I do like. 

Why would I pay more for just our DSL, when I can have the landline added, and for less? I won't.

hckyjut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

hckynut in our area, we d/c'd the land line. we all use apple iphones in our family. if you have an apple iphone and an apple ipad or i mac, you can activate a hot spot from your phone to interact with your devices. so technically, you don't need an internet connection for this. we only have cable tv  through xfinity. we REFUSED the bundle and although it took a lot of time and phone calls, we were able to have the service ala carte. good luck!

Honored Contributor

We have our internet with our cable co now and, while I do believe that the modem/router is plugged into a phone jack, I don't think we need to have an actual landline to have internet anymore.

With DSL I believe it needed a landline, or maybe it was just the same thing - not sure.

My curiosity is wondering if dial-up still exists.  Does anybody here still have dial-up?

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

hckynut in our area, we d/c'd the land line. we all use apple iphones in our family. if you have an apple iphone and an apple ipad or i mac, you can activate a hot spot from your phone to interact with your devices. so technically, you don't need an internet connection for this. we only have cable tv  through xfinity. we REFUSED the bundle and although it took a lot of time and phone calls, we were able to have the service ala carte. good luck!

@bmorechick

Appreciate your info, but we are an all Android family here. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

hckynut - you can do it with an android phone, but I do not know how. I would check it out online Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@noodleannThanks for that answer.  I'll be watching as you go. 

Honored Contributor

Re: No landline?

[ Edited ]

@bmorechick wrote:

I turn on hot spot on occasion when I'm out of the house with another wifi only device but their is absolutely no way I'd want to rely on it for all my internet. It's a heck of a lot slower than my current cable internet plan. So much so that I get much better data transfer speed over wifi on my phone when I'm at home. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

We have our internet with our cable co now and, while I do believe that the modem/router is plugged into a phone jack, I don't think we need to have an actual landline to have internet anymore.

With DSL I believe it needed a landline, or maybe it was just the same thing - not sure.

My curiosity is wondering if dial-up still exists.  Does anybody here still have dial-up?

I don't think you can properly load pages using dialup. The amount of data on each page makes it's too difficult for a slow connection to work.  Most cable companies have different data plans so if you don't mind a slower connection, you can get cable for a reasonable price.  

I know people who have a landline because of their security system.  I have a system which uses a cellular connection. 

Respected Contributor
We have basic landline phone service here. Just this past March 8, we had a windstorm that knocked out power to 80% of customers regionally. There are a lot of power outages here, but not for as long as THIS one was. We were the lucky ones, as ours was restored after 36 hours (across the street, after 48 hours). Even so, battery-powered devices eventually died. Most people here had to wait days longer, many up to a week. And wouldn't you know it?...during the worst cold snap of a very mild winter. But the landline phones worked.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

I have 1 plug in phone that is not cordless for when we lose power.  

When I worked as a Telephone Operator the power went off and the phone system was working but the phone ringers were electric and they were not ringing.  Even the Police Station had all cordless and their phones were not ringing.   When people can't reach the Police, guess who they call?  Operator!  What a night!