Respected Contributor

Newest MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro 14”

I am giving my 17" Windows HP laptop to my daughter as soon as I decide which Apple product to get.
I want one that will do all the things my Windows does on it. I love Apple products. I do use Word and print a lot sometimes.

The MacBook Air is nice and the new Apple MacBook Pro 14" is the newest. This will be my last laptop purchase as I am retired and 72 years old. I still love my Apple products. I have 2 iPads the 7th and 8th gen. They are just a little small.

I love both but the 14" MacBook Pro I think this would do everything I would want down the line. I have saved up enough for either. 
Thanks you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Newest MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro 14”

I just picked up the latest MacBook Air the other day.  I am 74, and I used Apple and Mac products until after I typed my doctoral dissertation in 1994. My job always had me at a Dell or HP, and I enjoyed Windows. So, I feel as if I am coming home with a Mac.  I have several iPads, so I should be good for a while. 

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 

My answer will not be very helpful, but for what it’s worth;

I have both.  If you are going to travel with it, or work with it sitting in your lap, I’d go with the MacBook Air. if you usually work at a desk, then the MacBook Pro.  This is based simply on the size difference - the Pro is heavy to carry around.

I agree, the Pro should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@MKR14 I replaced my Pro with the Air I currently own. My next purchase I will return to the Pro. It seems like my Air doesn't handle the updates as well as my Pro did. 

If you go to the Apple website, you can select Mac from across the top banner. When it shows the models, you can find the compare button and choose models to compare. All the specifications are listed to help make an informed choice.

Good luck in your search. Both models do a good job.

Respected Contributor

Thanks. Great answers to my question.

I will probably go with the 14" MacBook Pro as I am usually at my desk working but I have a nice stand also for my lap.

Glad they kept our forum here as everyone always gives honest answer to those looking for them.

I am just waiting for the first reviews to come out on the new Macbooks released this October.

Stay safe and have a great weekend. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I had a funeral for my old beloved MacBook Pro last December. I purchased a MacBook Air for replacement. I felt it would be fine for my home use, since I'm now retired and have less detailed work related computer use.

I love my Mac Air, but the Pro was a workhorse. It could handle anything my deceased DH's powerful computer (built for him by Falcon NW) could handle. It was even faster than his computer with some applications.

If I had heavier computer use, I would've definitely gone with the Pro.  I don't think you can go wrong. I am rather enjoying how light weight the Air is though.

I still have my old,  shut down Pro, that I picked up the other day and was surprised how heavy it is after handling the Air. I had forgotten. 

Honored Contributor

A.  You are for sure going to need another couple of computers as long as you'll live!  

B.  I vote 100 percent for Mac Air.  I'm on my third.  Hubby has a Pro, but he uses his Mini IPad for so much.  We have a big IPad pro but it doesn't get much use.  Get the Air.   They are wonderful!  And if you need more or longer term storage, buy the external drive for it.  The newest model has a better keyboard.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

A.  You are for sure going to need another couple of computers as long as you'll live!  

B.  I vote 100 percent for Mac Air.  I'm on my third.  Hubby has a Pro, but he uses his Mini IPad for so much.  We have a big IPad pro but it doesn't get much use.  Get the Air.   They are wonderful!  And if you need more or longer term storage, buy the external drive for it.  The newest model has a better keyboard.  

I have to agree with @Sooner !  I'm 67 and can't even begin to think in terms of "this will be my last fill in the blank".  I know people do this but I just can't....maybe I'm in denial.

As for the MacBook Air, I  got a new one little more than two months ago to replace my old 2012 version.  I LOVE it!! (using it now). It's lightweight,  compact, easy to use while being large enough for a full sized (lighted) keyboard and a nice 13" screen with amazing clarity.

I really don't do a diverse number of things on it.  It's mostly for surfing the web, photos, watching videos & email.  I do more on my desktop which stays on my desk.  My MacBook Air is moved around the house with me.

Esteemed Contributor

I would buy the MacBook Pro. The new Pro has a number of ports to connect things and you will not need a dongle. Apple has made improvements in the sound system and the camera. 

Here are a few YouTube channels I like.

Techmeout 

Tech Gear Talk

MKBHD

I would not wait too long to buy. Apple will sell them out. Amazon has extended their return policy until sometime after the holidays. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg  I was leaning towards the MacBook Pro 14" as it has the extra ports which I would need. That saves me buying extras for it. I wish it had the rose gold but the silver is beautiful also. 
I have almost all the money saved as I like to pay for an item this expensive when I buy it. I will use my credit card to order and get some good points also.

I am just waiting for the first reviews and if they sell out right now I will order as soon as they get them back in. 
Thanks as I will check out the YouTube channels you posted.