Esteemed Contributor

I want to set up a pseudo Facebook account. I have an account which I use daily. I want to set up a 2nd account using a fake name (specifically to check on several people who have blocked me in connection with a child custody issue). My lawyer said there is a way to do this, please help!

Honored Contributor

You should be able to do it with an alternate e mail address

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I can't help you how to do it, I think that's right about an alternate email address ..... I know many people who have more than one acct. they use them for different things.

Honored Contributor

Unless they've changed their policies, Facebook doesn't allow one individual to have more than one personal account. If you set up a second one with a different email address and they become aware of it, in the past they would close down your access.

They've been pretty strict about it in the past. One example of that: if anything happens to cause your account to be compromised (even too many tries at your password) and Facebook bars your access, they require legal ID to reopen it -- and if they see other accounts with the same ownership they won't allow access.

You might want to check the policies before you do anything to create a new account.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Here's one link I found with a quick check:

"Why can't I use my phone number to verify multiple accounts?

You're only allowed to have one Facebook account. This account must list your real name. This way, everyone on Facebook knows who they're connecting with. For more details, please review the Facebook Community Standards."

link: https://www.facebook.com/help/187931727930637

Identity and Privacy:

"On Facebook people connect using their real names and identities. We ask that you refrain from publishing the personal information of others without their consent. Claiming to be another person, creating a false presence for an organization, or creating multiple accounts undermines community and violates Facebook's terms."

This from their Security standards:

"We take the safety of our members seriously and work to prevent attempts to compromise their privacy or security, including those that use fraud or deception."

patbz, I would simply caution you to ask your attorney to read all the standards before you proceed. I'm certainly no lawyer, but you want to be sure you're not illegally violating someone's privacy in taking these steps. I'm sorry you're dealing with this and hope it all works out for you.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor
Sounds ugly. Anyway, if people are blocking you, they surely only allow access to their accounts to those who make friend requests. You might not get what you want. This is why people need to only post things on Facebook that they want public. There really is no privacy. If you want to stalk someone, just hire a private detective. I understand child custody issues very well. If you are in the right, you will ultimately prevail. The courts in most jurisdictions are going to grant joint custody and generous visitation, unless there is a risk to the child. I was bled dry by a lawyer, then when I ran out of money, she told me what I needed to know to protect my daughter. In the end the court saw the light and did what was right.
Regular Contributor
On 8/12/2014 dooBdoo said:

Unless they've changed their policies, Facebook doesn't allow one individual to have more than one personal account. If you set up a second one with a different email address and they become aware of it, in the past they would close down your access.

They've been pretty strict about it in the past. One example of that: if anything happens to cause your account to be compromised (even too many tries at your password) and Facebook bars your access, they require legal ID to reopen it -- and if they see other accounts with the same ownership they won't allow access.

You might want to check the policies before you do anything to create a new account.

LOL, they so don't do anything. I have friends who have more than one personal account using same names same everything and nothing happens. If facebook won't take down terrorist accounts and accounts of people overseas showing beheadings, you think they are going to go after every john smith? NOPE. They don't even do the same IP login monitoring because so many people in same family homes use it that it would just be stupid.

Frequent Contributor

As far as I know you will not be able to see anything unless the person is your friend. Also some people would set their account as PRIVATE so you still wont be able to see it.

Honored Contributor
On 8/12/2014 WIlliam Joseph said:
On 8/12/2014 dooBdoo said:

LOL, they so don't do anything. I have friends who have more than one personal account using same names same everything and nothing happens. If facebook won't take down terrorist accounts and accounts of people overseas showing beheadings, you think they are going to go after every john smith? NOPE. They don't even do the same IP login monitoring because so many people in same family homes use it that it would just be stupid.

Oh, I do understand what you mean, in general. But the OP's talking about a delicate legal matter. If anyone gains information by illegally invading someone's privacy, it could jeopardize their standing. That's all I was cautioning about.

Respected Contributor
On 8/12/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

You should be able to do it with an alternate e mail address

This is true. I help admin several for sale groups on FB. Several admin have a fake acc for admin reasons. I did get 1 set up, by using a fake email acc. At 1st it let me set it up, then I decided it was too much trouble switching acc. so I deleted it. I was going to do it again & now it doesn't let me. You DO have to have alternate email accs. I believe there is a FB policy against it, but people do it all the time. One lady had 3 different accs. It's tricky, but it can be done.