Valued Contributor

New car- phone has old "cig lighter" charger- now what?

New cars don't have cig lighters - the style "plug" that you used to plug in your phone to charge if necessary--- so the charger that I have with my phone (which I purchased less than a year ago- doesn't have a charger with the usb? at both ends (don't know if I'm using the right terminology- but my car only has the "slots"- where do I get an appropriate charger for my tracfone? New cars don't have cd players either- new tv's dont' always have enough"connections"-- everything is more expensive and you're getting a lot less   >:/ 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Woman Frustrated
Honored Contributor

Re: New car- phone has old "cig lighter" charger- now what?

Huh ....  I've never charged my phone in my car and don't see any reason to.  I charge it in my home.  Maybe your phone battery is faulty?  

Why don't you get one of those Halo charger sticks ... or whatever they're called?  

Honored Contributor

Maybe you can get an adaptor at Radio Shack online.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You need one of these. It's called a:

USB A Male to 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Female Power Converter Cable

s-l500.jpg

@sipp 

Just plug that cable into your usb port in your car and then plug your old phone charger into the other end where the socket is located.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can order a car charger from Tracfone for under ten bucks. Mine came with it. My car also has several different types of plugs to charge devices and a CD player, though CD's aren't exactly state of the art anymore, I guess, and it's not a particularly upscale car. What you get depends on the car you choose.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@sipp wrote:

New cars don't have cig lighters - the style "plug" that you used to plug in your phone to charge if necessary--- so the charger that I have with my phone (which I purchased less than a year ago- doesn't have a charger with the usb? at both ends (don't know if I'm using the right terminology- but my car only has the "slots"- where do I get an appropriate charger for my tracfone? New cars don't have cd players either- new tv's dont' always have enough"connections"-- everything is more expensive and you're getting a lot less   >:/ 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Woman Frustrated

Get a new adapter to attach your phone to the USB slot you have in the car. 

Trusted Contributor

@sipp 

I think the "slots" you mentioned could be USB ports. If they are, you only need a USB cord, not a charger. Just plug the wide end into a port, and the smaller end into your phone. The car might need to be on for the phone to charge. Check the manual to be sure.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure you can find an adapter at any Walmart, Target or drug store.

Trusted Contributor

@sipp   What @Caffeina  said is all you need. 

Valued Contributor

Yes- most likely they're usb ports in the car- it was the charger itself that has the big "plug" on one end that isn't going to be of any use - I've not seen the kind you speak of- and my husbands is a different "size" than mine- so I guess I'll have to go to office depot or some other place to see if I can find them.. thanks for answering to all!